Moderator: Moderators

Oro Valley AO

Postby The Honey Badger on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:36 pm

North East CDO Section:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... kzdiRH09cY

Honey Bee (Badger) Canyon:

-Map incoming

Directions, from I10:

1. From the freeway, head east on Tangerine, to the Oro Valley Hospital.
2. Turn left (north) on Innovation Park Drive.
3. Turn left (west) on Rancho Vistoso.
4. Make a U turn at N. Del Webb Blvd.
5. Make an immediate right, after the U turn.
6. Veer right onto the pavement and park.

Directions, from Oracle Road:

1. Turn onto Rancho Vistoso.
2. Make a U turn at N. Del Webb Blvd.
3. Make an immediate right, after the U turn.
4. Veer right onto the pavement and park.
Last edited by The Honey Badger on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:20 am, edited 7 times in total.
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Re: Oro Valley AO

Postby The Honey Badger on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:38 pm

OV Ordinance
http://www.codepublishing.com/az/oroval ... 03.html&?f

4. Airsoft weapons may also be discharged off of private property and within the Oro Valley town limits only under the following circumstances:

a. Any person discharging airsoft guns within the town limits must use biodegradable airsoft rounds.

b. That no person shall be permitted to discharge any airsoft weapon within one hundred (100) feet of
any home, business, or government building.

c. Any person discharging an airsoft weapon must have and use protective eyewear.

d. Any airsoft weapon must have a bright color attachment on the muzzle of the weapon similar to those
required under Federal law currently attached to the weapon indicating the gun is not a real weapon, but
is solely intended for use as a nonlethal instrument.
Last edited by The Honey Badger on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Postby Buffalo on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:19 pm

I am stoked about this new AO. TONS of area to play in, more great features than first meet the eye, this is going to be a great AO. Once we have made some minor improvements, this could be THE Tucson playing site for Mil Sim. I would like to see the entrance upgraded to allow better access, but we already have plans for that. I also wish there were some more readily identifiable land marks for use in games, but, as we play there more, we will come up with those. All in all, this is one of the best Airsoft sites I have seen, especially around Tucson.
Buffalo
Buffalo
TAC Secretary

Postby ultimentra on Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:46 pm

The AO is huge, has alot of promise.

Best parts-
"Canyon" area has some awesome terrain, lots of large washes.
Lots of good area for large games
Presents some, but not too much challenge to navigate
Huge potential for hosting games with staged events and non-standard events like STALKER
Bradens new GF works at the chilies nearby ;)

Only bad things-
-Lots of cactus in some areas, they are cholla or jumping cactus alot of times. Could pose a safety hazard to someone not looking where they're going.
-Loose rocks/terrain on some of the hill areas could make it difficult to navigate going down. Would be easy for someone to lose their footing and start rolling, but its like that at SASCO hill on the bunker side anyways. Just gotta be careful.
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby The Honey Badger on Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:36 pm

This is the best possible place that I have scouted. The potential is near limitless. We must however police out own.If you use this AO, please follow the rules and ordinances. Posted above is an excerpt from the code as well as a link to the actual Ordinance.

The AO is inside the city of Oro Valley, but it is actually Pima County property. We need no permit. I have spoken with OVPD, and they were very helpful.

There is old (and not recently used) cattle fencing. There was once a rancher that had cattle there to graze. There are no sign or spore but weekend equestrian traffic, and that too is not recent.

There is some cactus. Its Tucson. It is sparse and easily avoidable.

The maps above of the north east side is enough area for to plat 10-30 person pick ups sectioned off in 4 or more smaller operational areas. Opened up, we can run large series games of 100 or more people and have camping area for people out of Phoenix.

The Honey Bee Canyon Section I would rather keep off limits to large games and it is clearly in the public view.
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Postby KileyHAZ on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:40 pm

Hardly the greatest AO ever, no matter what criteria we weigh heaviest but versatile and accessible. It has a diverse lay out but is limited in the number it can host and logistics for manuvering platoon size elements without being viisble to the public is limited.

In my opinion, a nice option to add for pickup game but not the next SASCO or Florence MOUT.

The Honey Badger wrote:This is the best possible place that I have scouted. The potential is near limitless. We must however police out own.If you use this AO, please follow the rules and ordinances. Posted above is an excerpt from the code as well as a link to the actual Ordinance.

The AO is inside the city of Oro Valley, but it is actually Pima County property. We need no permit. I have spoken with OVPD, and they were very helpful.

Trent's above statement sums the 'catch' up well. Its inside Oro Valley city limits, which is one of only a handful of city's to legally recognize/name airsoft and allow it so its a legal AO to play on. That is city statute and the same logic DOES NOT apply to any areas in outside of Oro Valley, such as Tucson or Marana. That being said, just because it's legal does not give you a right to be irresponsible and ignorant. Legal or no we stay out of the public's line of sight, 99.9% of them will have no idea what airsoft is let alone whether it is legal or not. So, none of the kitting out and brandishing weapons near the parking entrance or any vantage point that makes you visible to the road. We absolutely have to police our own on this matter and take responsibility for our participants and each own our part. In summary, if I see you waiving your gun inside oro valley (or tucson, marana, phoenix etc) city limits, legal or not, I'll kick you in the balls for putting the sport at risk. I challenge each and every one of you to do the same. I hope everyone else will hold me to as high as standard.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby The Honey Badger on Thu May 07, 2015 5:30 pm

OVBG is still a viable AO 05/07/2015
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Return to AO Information