can a felon have an airsoft gun?

This section is for general discussion pertaining to TAC or airsoft

Moderator: Moderators

can a felon have an airsoft gun?

Postby raymond on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:31 pm

Hey guys I'm not new to airsoft however about 2 years ago I was charged with a felony, now I'm wondering if it is even legal for me to own one since I am prohibited from being in possession of any weapon. Specific laws or statutes would help greatly, I couldn't seem to find anything in the Arizona revised statutes. I live in Tucson and am also wondering if there are any city ordinances that apply. Any and all help would be much appreciated!
raymond
Recruit

Re: can a felon have an airsoft gun?

Postby The Honey Badger on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:11 pm

Charged and convicted? Do you still have a PO to report to? Can you own any kind of pellet gun?

I know there are several convicted felons who play but most have had thier rights restored. I haven't been a street police officer in more than 10 years so I don't know.

ARS 13-925 governs firearms right restoration.

ARS 13-31 governs firearms, definitions and misconduct.
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Postby raymond on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:17 pm

First of all thank you!

Yes, I am still on probation.
I don't think I can have my rights restored until 10 years after I am off of probation.
(No I didn't hurt anyone, I waved my knife around at some punks trying to vandalize my sisters car, Agg. Assault x3)
I am prohibited from possessing a weapon of any kind as defined by federal and state law.
As far as I can tell Arizona defines a firearm as anything that "expels a projectile by the action of an explosive"
So an airsoft gun is not considered a firearm, that's a start.
Seems I need to research federal laws a bit more.
Quite frankly it could go either way, I'll definitely be waiting until I know for sure.
If you come across anything let me know, likewise I'll also update with information if I find anything just in case there is anyone else with the same question.

Thanks again for helping!
raymond
Recruit

Postby Twombly on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:56 pm

Firearms are described as any object that fires a projectile through combustion but state laws are always changing n stuff if anything ask your probation officer
Twombly
Recruit

Postby shootright on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:55 am

Hope this helps
Firearm – Unlike an airgun, firearms use burning propellant in the ammunition. They are federally regulated for purchase, ownership and transfer by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE). None of these restrictions apply to airguns, making airguns a convenient and safe choice for scholastic programs. Most counties allow the use of airguns in a “home range,” outlined on page 4.

- The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) does not classify air guns as firearms because of their lower velocity and lack of explosives used to propel the projectile. This simplifies the purchase, storage and transport of air guns since they are not federally regulated as a firearm.

- Because of the lower velocity, lead abatement for air gun pellets consists simply of sweeping-up pellets from target traps and the few that may fall to the floor. In the absence of an explosive charge, air gun lead is NOT atomized and therefore does NOT require sophisticated HEPA filters as do firearms cartridges used on indoor firing ranges.

I found nothing else about airsoft at this time at the fed level.
At the state level

Pasted 2010
HB 2453 - State Preemption Strengthened. This legislation further limited the ability of political subdivisions
(i.e., counties, cities, towns, etc.) to regulate firearms. Prior law allowed political subdivisions to enact firearms taxes and regulations such as limiting firearm possession in parks and preserves. HB 2543 also added firearms storage and accessories to the list of things that political subdivisions cannot regulate, and in general prohibited them from enacting any local ordinances more restrictive than state law.

Pasted 2014
HB 2483 - Strengthens the protection of the lawful use of firearms, air guns and archery equipment on private property.

Airsoft is looked at as airgun I believe.
shootright
Recruit

Postby The Honey Badger on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:22 pm

Nope. Firearm, to AZ parole and probation officers and have a blanket "violate the offender order"

"Walks like a duck, must be a duck"

Possession of an airsoft gun is a terrible way to loose your earned freedom out to your CSED because your were violated by your PO because he thought it looked so real that you could use it in the commission of a felony. In the last 6 months I have had men returned to custody for far less.

Those that know what I do can vet me for you if you think I am wrong.
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Postby KileyHAZ on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:27 am

If you are still looking into this drop me a PM and we can arrange to meet and have some coffee some time. I can break this down for you and if you disclose the status of your probation and relationship with probation officer I can even make a recommendation or two.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Return to General Discussion