Airsoft store in marana?

This section is for general discussion pertaining to TAC or airsoft

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Airsoft store in marana?

Postby Exarach on Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:39 pm

THKInternational wrote:
IconarmsDealer wrote:even an Online store/special order only is hard to do...and make $$$ it is about volume. Theres the Single item price, and case price...Buy more , and you save thus expanding the margin of profit.

so now decide what to have in stock. The money is in the TECH/Parts/Upgrades and repairs. In my opinion.
Having been in the Real Steel business for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.The money isin the repairs/upgrade side of the house For every NEW gun I sold. I repaired or upgraded 5.
m sure there are fpolks who have no clue how to go about getting the gear box out let alone crack one open! They just go buy a new gun.....
So theres the opening for taking trade, repairing them at your cost, and re selling as a pre-owned AEG
And that Equals a nice profit

that sounds like a goooooood Idea. thanks for the help everyone Ill see if I convice my dad to give TAC mambers a discount. :D

Offer trade in's..
make $
"Friendly fire isn't"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?
IconarmsDealer wrote:We are just figureheads.

IconarmsDealer wrote:Fuck you you fat mother fucker
Exarach
Master Sergeant

Postby KileyHAZ on Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:04 pm

Having attempted this, I can say without a doubt it's a poor business model here. You simply cannot compete with asgi and their bulk purchase power without selling at a loss. The only way you could do it is opportunity sales by having a pro shop on a commercial field. Just my opinion, take it for whatever you wish.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby IconarmsDealer on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:22 am

KileyHAZ wrote:Having attempted this, I can say without a doubt it's a poor business model here. You simply cannot compete with asgi and their bulk purchase power without selling at a loss. The only way you could do it is opportunity sales by having a pro shop on a commercial field. Just my opinion, take it for whatever you wish.

I agree! I didnt even take into consideration the Online stores. Very hard to compete with prices like that. Many Motorcycle parts and gear shops back in theday closed up for this reason.

Like you said Kiley a 'Commercial field' is the draw,and a secondary product.

As for a secondary product..... High end BB and pellet rifles. There is a market for this, and the only other place that sold them is gone. The Guy was about 80!!! Also an indoor range set up for Olympic style target shooting, with a club house area, this gives customers a place to fire their Rifles.As the owners you can host target matches, and safety courses for new shooters, This keeps them coming back.

My 2 cents;
High end pellet rifle, pistols related gear
Airsoft guns, parts related gear
Indoor Target range-Pay to fire or monthly membership
Hosted target shooting events-
Repair/upgrade of products sold
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby ultimentra on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:19 pm

This may or may not be related, but I went up to phoenix recently, and there is now an airsoft/gear store in the Mills Mall. Its called "Heroes", its a small combination surplus/airsoft store where they have anything from springers up to an ICS EGLM. They actually had a decent selection of stuff there, even accessories. Though, they were incredibly overpriced. 300 dollars for an AGM StG44, 60 bucks per shell for an ICS 40mm, and 60 bucks for an airsoft brand AK rail mount, yea I don't think so. And I knew 3x more about airsoft and the guns themselves than the guy working the counter. One of the customers there even commented that I should be working there.

Of course you have to assume that there is going to be a some price manipulation in a store thats in the mills mall, but anyone who knows anything about airsoft that went into that store would be able to verbally dance circles around the employees, and probably wouldn't buy very much unless they were able to bargain a decent deal with the store owner, because the only products that had prices that could compete with the likes of ASGI and evike was their tactical gear and boots.

What should be taken from this wall of text? Avoid these guys' mistakes. Make sure that when people like me, scott, kiley, and 99% of everyone on TAC walk into to the store the first thing they think of the employees when they start asking about products is not "these guys have no idea what they're talking about". If you have a friendly and knowledgeable staff, the prices take a back seat.
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby KileyHAZ on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:53 pm

ultimentra wrote:This may or may not be related, but I went up to phoenix recently, and there is now an airsoft/gear store in the Mills Mall. Its called "Heroes", its a small combination surplus/airsoft store where they have anything from springers up to an ICS EGLM. They actually had a decent selection of stuff there, even accessories. Though, they were incredibly overpriced. 300 dollars for an AGM StG44, 60 bucks per shell for an ICS 40mm, and 60 bucks for an airsoft brand AK rail mount, yea I don't think so. And I knew 3x more about airsoft and the guns themselves than the guy working the counter. One of the customers there even commented that I should be working there.

Of course you have to assume that there is going to be a some price manipulation in a store thats in the mills mall, but anyone who knows anything about airsoft that went into that store would be able to verbally dance circles around the employees, and probably wouldn't buy very much unless they were able to bargain a decent deal with the store owner, because the only products that had prices that could compete with the likes of ASGI and evike was their tactical gear and boots.

What should be taken from this wall of text? Avoid these guys' mistakes. Make sure that when people like me, scott, kiley, and 99% of everyone on TAC walk into to the store the first thing they think of the employees when they start asking about products is not "these guys have no idea what they're talking about". If you have a friendly and knowledgeable staff, the prices take a back seat.

There is without a doubt value in your statements. I back most of it 100%. I do want to point out that price carries more weight then you think. I have offered items at cost+shipping through RGT to several groups (team mates, event co-attendees, and even some groups on TAC) and have had many quotes declined outright because they (the knowledgeable ones) could save $5 online. I am of the opinion that airsofters are a thrifty lot for the most part and if they can save a dollar they will. In fact I would venture as much as to say that they (the knowledgeable ones) would most likely limit their local purchases to impulse buys or small parts (full circle back to Scotts anecdote that the money is in the aftermarket bits and doo-dads).

Its an interesting topic of conversation for sure, and the answers are as myriad as the players. I just wanted to relate my own experience since I often have had to sell at a loss just to keep the business local. In the interest of full disclosure I also have sour grapes with asgi on the topic since they often violate MAP pricing, an act that would cost us small time resellers to lose our privileges with distributors. They get special tier pricing or get overlooked for discipline based on volume.

Before you plunk any money down I'd highly encourage your dad to make a trip up to Tempe and see the owner of gearbox airsoft and ask how he makes ends meet. The community there is much larger then here and he often has to scratch to keep the margins intact long enough to reach the better months of the year.

I'm not say do it, I'm not say don't do it. I'm just saying my opinion is that a "airsoft store" with no other gimmick, like a field or a exclusive line to a rare brand name, won't turn much of a profit.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby ultimentra on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Kiley I am sure what your saying is unfortunately correct, my hope is that once people are actually putting hands on merchandise that they will be more willing to put money on the table. Airsofters in general will always want to save a buck, lets hope that once the sport grows in popularity as time goes on that people will be more willing to accept a *competitive* price.

+1 to looking at gearbox, the guy who runs the store is nice, have been in there and talked with him a couple of times.
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby IconarmsDealer on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:12 pm

Yep Price is the magic word. More so in todays market thane ever.

I will give you areal steel example;

Glock G??-
msrp $580.00
My cost$ 476.00 on a single Glock
Shipping $21.00 (Fed law mandates 0ver night or three day
$497.00
+10%
$546.70
Tax 8.1%

$590.98 OTD
Profit; $49.70

Now go to" Super Sportsmans Emporium
SSE cost $415.00 (they buy 50 units)
$4.00 each shipping on 50 units=$200.00
unit cost $419.00
Listed $479.99
Tax $38.87
OTD$ $518.86
Profit;$60.99

Thats a full $94.98 less than I can sell it for.SSE needs to sell only four units to cover the shipping on ALL 50 guns.
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby The Honey Badger on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:44 pm

I get the same gun for $399+tax, LE discount direct from Glock
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Postby quadro on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:11 pm

TJC10 wrote:I get the same gun for $399+tax, LE discount direct from Glock

+1 the blue label program through glock is a great deal for anyone current/retired military or LE.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Harold R. McAlindon

quadro
Executive Advisor

Postby THKInternational on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:59 pm

Also keep in mind that this is in a early delelopment and so far we are thinking of selling parts and upgrades along with cosmetic peices we will be selling used guns and a small amount of AEGs at first maybe even some GBB
dhammapada wrote: If you see an intelligent man who tells you where true treasures are to be found, who shows what is to be avoided, and administers reproofs, follow that wise man; it will be better, not worse, for those who follow him.
THKInternational
2nd Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion