Informational posts pertaining to airsoft

Moderator: Moderators

DIY CAMO COATING REVISED

Postby IconarmsDealer on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:34 am

Heres the way the gun looked at the start of the project

Shown hanging. grey Grit texture

Final product

Muzzle burn details seen on real steel

Ok TAC Part of any hobby is learning to do things yourself,also somefolks cant afford to pay others to do certian things for them This said heres a go at CAMO pianting your favorite AEG, Or ????

Take a look at the pics.

MATERIALs: Masking tape,0000 Steel wool,Rubbing alchol, Canned air.
PAINT; I use KRYLON CAMO colors for the base. its cheap, durable and goes a long way. For this scheme I used KHAKI TAN, and Light Tan aluma hide.

Also used are TESTERS BRAND HOBBIE COLORS;** your colors may vary depending on the pattern you use.
Fabric Tan=Coyote tan
SAC bomber tan=Pale green
Light Earth tan=Redish brown
Dark Grey automotive primer
Grey silica grit coating (texture)

STEP-1; dissasemble your work piece. take care to bag any small screws or springs. mask off any areas you dont want painted.
STEP-2; using the 0000Steel wool dress down the smooth plastic, or fiber glass parts.This gives the primer some texture to stick to the stock better. Your steel/ alum parts should not need this, as a light dusting of primer should work.
STEP-3; blast the parts with your compressed air to remove any dust or lint. wipe down(w/lint free towel )using the Alcohol and let dry. (DO NOT use a solvent containing TCE or MEK)
STEP-4; Hang your work piece in the center of your work area, about eye level. blast with air again if needed. You want to be able to move around the object, top to bottom and at a 360.
STEP-5A; apply the dark grey primer several thin coats and allow to dry (12 Hours is best)
STEP-5B; over the now dry primer smooth with the steel wool, repeat 3 (no alochol wipe this time), blast with air
STEP-6; select you base color I start light and get darker. use thin coats moving from top to bottom and around the work piece. inspect the unseen areas to be sure you have good covereage. **if you miss a spot dont worry you have more colors to cover it with. LET your base coat dry OVER NIGHT DONT RUSH IT JEDI!
STEP-7;selecting the next darker shade apply random patterns, stripes spots blotches. let this dry and then take the piece out into the sun;light and look at it...it will look a bit different in UV :?
Move around the piece as you apply the patterns. there is no WRONG way! Now progessivly apply the other colors stopping once in a while to see it in the sunlight. when done let dry before assembling.
do the same for the action if thats part of the project
STEP-8; assemble and touch up. ok so now you you have the AEG together now using the corasponding colors match the pattern on the stock to the action...it should flow together, it doesnt have to be perfect. Tada! you did it!

SOME SUGGESTIONS: Avoid BLACK, In nature Black does not occur. Very dark grey but not black. if you have a pattern where you are wanting black refer back to DARK AUTO PRIMER GREY! NOTICE HOW WELL MULTI-CAM WORKS? no BLACK!

Do not get in a hurry take the time to prep the item, clean, clean! Let each coat dry!

this can be used on just about anything Mags, helmets i

Next: CAMO PATTERNS USING STENCILS
Last edited by IconarmsDealer on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Re: DIY CAMO COATING REVISED

Postby KileyHAZ on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:50 am

Very nice, thanks for the write up. What did you use to get the grit texture? Was it simply show-through from roughing it up or did you apply a product to create it?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby IconarmsDealer on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:22 pm

The Grit is applied as a spray. It is an epoxy based coating that has silica in the mix. The texture if very aggressive, and makes for a great grip. The colors are CLEAR, GREEN, and GREY. The clear is good for appling over exsisting finish, and can be dulled with a MATTE top coat. The green is,,,well Not a color of green you would want on anything :mrgreen: I use the grey and green as a base coat. The Grit is also great for HELMETS to give that textures feeling found on many Combat helmets.

Glad you like the Thread I will do another on STENCIL PATTERNS, AND ANOTHER ON LIQUID STENCILE
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby T3hl33tn00b on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:36 pm

Really nice how to, I may just paint my UMP now! I was nervous before, but the instructions given make it look easier than I thought. thanks for posting.
T3hl33tn00b
Master Sergeant

Postby IconarmsDealer on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:13 pm

Do it! Have fun... poist a pictuer Drp me a line if you need anything!
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby T3hl33tn00b on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:10 pm

IconarmsDealer wrote:Do it! Have fun... poist a pictuer Drp me a line if you need anything!

will do, thanks!
T3hl33tn00b
Master Sergeant

Postby T3hl33tn00b on Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:53 pm

Hey, can you get spray paint in a gunmetal or similer gray, but mat in color, becouse I want to keep the original look of the gun,(not into the whole camo thing if the military that uses the gun doesn't do it...) also, can you get stensils for the selector switch and positions?
T3hl33tn00b
Master Sergeant

Postby IconarmsDealer on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:03 pm

Can get Parkerized grey aluma hide...Stencils....No
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Return to Informational Links