Remove/clear out old threads

Your suggestions regarding content, layout, ease of use etc

Moderator: Moderators

Remove/clear out old threads

Postby Hollywood on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:05 am

I would like to suggest that we remove all threads that are over a year old. They are no longer relevant, and they are just taking up space and making the site look messy. I am constantly overwhelmed each time I look at our site because there are so many threads and forums, and many of them are being updated daily with new posts. I do not have access to site moderation, so would someone who does have access be willing to clear these forums/threads to make the site more user-friendly? (If anyone has objections about this and has a strong desire to keep old threads for personal reasons, I am willing to hear them. However, as our PR rep, I think our site would look a lot nicer if it had only a select number of forums that were not clouded by outdated comments.)
“When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive.”
--George W. Bush

Hollywood
Hollywood
Private 1st Class

Re: Remove/clear out old threads

Postby KileyHAZ on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:28 am

We can setup automatic pruning on a per forum basis. What we would need to know is which ones need to be pruned and how often. Then get approval through the normal voting means.

Pruning will DELETE the old material so you may want to stick with the old 'move' to an archive forum method for some forums.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby Hollywood on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:33 am

Alright, do you want me to make a list of all the forums/threads that are out of date and then the board can determine from those which should be deleted v. archived? Judging by my review of the site this morning, that could be quite a long list, but I'm willing to go through them.
“When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive.”
--George W. Bush

Hollywood
Hollywood
Private 1st Class

Postby KileyHAZ on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:20 am

Hollywood wrote:Alright, do you want me to make a list of all the forums/threads that are out of date and then the board can determine from those which should be deleted v. archived? Judging by my review of the site this morning, that could be quite a long list, but I'm willing to go through them.

Naw, I think a simple call of which forums should be manually 'backed up' (i.e.e old contents moved to archive section) and which forums can be auto pruned (i.e old content is simply deleted after X amount of time).

From there we can get approval and set up the auto prune stuff and clear out the manual forums.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby IconarmsDealer on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:41 pm

I think thats good idea, As well I was looking at the Members section and in the first 13 pages there are 25 Plus members listed with Zero post, and with join dateS as far back as 2008. Perhaps we should clean this up a bit based on the date joined, number of post and duration of non activity.

2009 and older with 5 or less post-remove.....?
2009-current with zero or less tham XXXX post remove...?

Sales threads_ any add with more than XXX bumps and no sales...Remove?
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby Hollywood on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 am

Is there a person who's job it is to specifically moderate the forums? If so, maybe this person could also examine which forums/threads should be archived v. deleted. I can also do it, but it would be nice to have input from others. Additionally, I agree with Icon about cleaning up the members, but perhaps we can put some of them into an "inactive members" section for now instead of deleting them, in case those individuals decide to re-join airsoft. There have been a few people who've returned recently after being out of the game for a few years.
--George W. Bush

Hollywood
Hollywood
Private 1st Class

Postby IconarmsDealer on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:06 am

Hollywood wrote:Is there a person who's job it is to specifically moderate the forums? If so, maybe this person could also examine which forums/threads should be archived v. deleted. I can also do it, but it would be nice to have input from others. Additionally, I agree with Icon about cleaning up the members, but perhaps we can put some of them into an "inactive members" section for now instead of deleting them, in case those individuals decide to re-join airsoft. There have been a few people who've returned recently after being out of the game for a few years.

Agree! Some have joined the Military or gone of to obtain a higher education.
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby ultimentra on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:15 pm

I would say that sections with important info such as the calender, AO info, and AO discussion should be backed up while off topic and sales/wanted should be pruned. Maybe even general discussion should be pruned as well. Just my .02
ultimentra
TAC XO

Return to Site Suggestions