Selling: Pictures Rule

Your suggestions regarding content, layout, ease of use etc

Moderator: Moderators

Selling: Pictures Rule

Postby V-S on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:05 am

Hey, I do like the fact that we have a rule that states that pictures must be put up when you sell an item. However, I see a lot of guys don't go and take pictures of what they're selling, and instead just use stock photos from other websites. Stock photos are perfectly fine for retailers, as they are accurate to the product they are selling, but this just doesn't hold true to used guns and gear. I feel that this does not provide an accurate item description for any potential buyers, is a tad bit dishonest, and can be easily abused. I understand that not everybody out there has a camera, but most people seriously do have a camera or a camera phone, and are able to upload some form of image of their weapon.

Please tell me why this isn't a good idea. I fail to see any reason, but I am open to hearing this out.

-Jeremy
V-S
Corporal

Re: Selling: Pictures Rule

Postby azsworst on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:28 am

I agree. Make sure to bring this up at the next meeting.
TAC 2009 Shooters Competition: I came, I saw.....I conqured
I am like the old puma, I will sit and wait a long ass time for you to RUN by then jump you from behind and bam your my diner.........
azsworst
Executive Advisor

Postby KileyHAZ on Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:47 am

The 'spirit' of the rule was to make sure that people had accurate ideas of what the item was as text accounts vary of what an item truly is and some folks simply don't have a camera or camera phone.

However, I can see your point in wanting to see the actual item and the condition it is in before making an offer. After all who wants to make an offer for full retail price on an item only to show up to the deal and find its duck taped together and that what the seller call 'marginal wear and tear'.

Az offers a good solution, bring it up at the next meeting, let folks argue for or against it and base future restrictions on that conversation and the notes gleaned from it.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby raynor on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:28 am

While I agree that actual pictures are nice and all, I would like to just state, as some of the other posts do, that not everyone has ready access to a camera or the ability to post said pictures onto the internet for whatever reason.

I would also like to say that in the case of buying used gear, I've not seen any truly used gear sold for retail price or sometimes even used price for what you are getting. So really, you'll still be saving a dollar in that regard and if you're not sure you want to deal with a 'used' gun, then wait and buy a new one or something. Maybe that's just me, but if you feel like you're getting swindled by people not taking accurate photos (I agree that text descriptions can make people leery), then don't purchase from them or ask to see the item in question first. After all, I doubt people are selling their gear because they want to make a fast buck from an idiot, at least, I hope not.

Hopefully I'm not ranting or anything, but being able to post in a thread about the seller certainly helps to make at least a slightly informed decision. More than anything, the money you are willing to spend belongs to you until you make the deal and hand over said cash. If you find you don't like what you got, then ask for a refund or something and if that fails, warn others to prevent the same thing from happening. Pictures can help alleviate this, but uploaded pictures of your gear won't necessarily stop abuse either; after all, I could 'take' a picture of that nice KWA M4 I'm selling that's only 'slightly' used when in fact, I just showed you something else entirely.

But that's just my .02; do whatever you want with it.
raynor
Recruit

Postby Savage on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:54 am

I'm thinking, maybe a link to the stock item, so the buyer can see the stock price, performance, buyer reviews, ect. And some people don't have cameras, maybe it can be encouraged to mooch at games?
PRAISE TO THE HOLY PROPHET CLANCY
Facial rugs may increase combat effectiveness?
Savage
Master Sergeant

Postby raynor on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:57 am

Savage wrote:I'm thinking, maybe a link to the stock item, so the buyer can see the stock price, performance, buyer reviews, ect.

+1
raynor
Recruit

Postby V-S on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:09 am

My point is that there's the rule that there must be pics in the Sales, but anybody can just go and google up whatever is for sale and see a stock photo; but that doesn't help the buyer.

I've not been swindled or anything, but I am working on this because there is more potential to be swindled than there should be. Once again, I understand that not everybody has a camera, but there really are cheap ones available out there that can produce a half decent picture to put up onto your sales thread.

I would like to bring this up to the next TAC meeting that I'm able to attend.
V-S
Corporal

Postby azsworst on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:34 am

If you can't attend, just voice your concerns/opinions to me via PM......I'll bring it up at the meeting.

This goes for everyone. If your a member, and getting to meetings isn't something you can always do.....PM me and I'll make sure to bring up whatever is on your mind at the meeting. I will only use what you have provided in the meeting (so that means I won't be acting like it's is my cause, no bias). I prefer that you take all sides into consideration so that if anyone asks a question about what you want....I won't have to tell them "Well man, he didn't put anything about that......guess you'll just have to ask him another day".

This is a service I'm doing purely out of goodwill so everyone can voice their opinion even if theyre not physically there, so please.....no one get the impression that it is a rule or anything.
TAC 2009 Shooters Competition: I came, I saw.....I conqured
I am like the old puma, I will sit and wait a long ass time for you to RUN by then jump you from behind and bam your my diner.........
azsworst
Executive Advisor

Return to Site Suggestions