Moderator: Moderators

Re: 3/27/10 49th Commandos pickups @SASCO

Postby ZombiePancake on Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:00 pm

i cant go :'(, thats the day of prom.
ZombiePancake
Private

Postby AxisOfOil on Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:20 pm

AlexDean wrote:every game i have been to so far that has an objective, just ends up being a deathmatch. Like today, the attacking team had to infiltrate our base and touch a red cone to win.. They just ended up camping the whole game and didn't get any where near our base at all. So, so far as it stands, i think complicated objective games like these are just silly.

anyways, might want to take me off the roster, don't want to attend another game without my G4-A1..

Those aren't too terribly complicated, actually.

Yeah, it is sometimes hard to get the games to run right, especially if the teams aren't balanced (the amount of awesomeness and benefit of position, not just numbers) to begin with. If they are though, it's a lot easier to keep the game type the same as what it is supposed to be.

Gametypes sound fun, hope it works out for ya guys.
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Postby lonewolf on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:46 pm

count me in... :ugeek:

"He who shed his blood with me shall be my Brother!" - Henry V

lonewolf
Corporal

Postby usafabrad on Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:46 am

The way to make objective-based games work is to make it worthwhile to win. It's basic game theory. Add some kind of prize for winning. Or better yet, come up with a series of objective-based games, each with a point-value for winning, and have a prize of some kind for the winning team. Otherwise, the only satisfaction from the game comes from making the kill. Touching a cone or reaching an objective ends up just being a way to stop the game, rather than being a fun thing to do in itself. I dont know about you guys, but i enjoy shooting people in airsoft. if i didnt i'd go do something else. If this was all about finding an ammo can and bringing it back to starting point, i'd just go do geocaching. Add some more incentive and motivation to the win, and you'll not only find people playing to the objective, but acting in the interest of the TEAM more than themselves.
usafabrad
Private

Postby AlexDean on Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:01 pm

well said
Here I sit all broken hearted; came to poop and only farted.
AlexDean
Master Sergeant

Postby ultimentra on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:15 pm

Please find a way to do so, and I will be willing to listen to you.
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby AlexDean on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:39 pm

me? well im not going but i do like the idea of a reward to get the most out of an objective game. a reward can be anything from AEG mags to movie tickets. but thats up to the host of course =)
Here I sit all broken hearted; came to poop and only farted.
AlexDean
Master Sergeant

Postby ultimentra on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Sorry, I was talking to usafabrad originally but I thank you for your input. I really can't dig into my bank account for prizes, 8$/hr just doesn't get the good stuff. ;)
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby KileyHAZ on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:30 am

I could not disagree with the above more really. Prizes serve to stretch the honor system of the game out. If 9 out of 10 people will call themselves out on a inconvenient hit in a normal game where its only 'bragging rights' to be won you can bet its going to be 7 or 8 out of 10 if you put something of value up. Throw in the fact that there are maybe 2 teams in the area that actually use dedicated admin staff to watch for cheaters and bad sports at big games and you have a potential problem.

It really comes down to the type of people playing, each has their own taste and preference. The things usafbrad cited at the end of his comment are WHY I play airsoft not byproducts of a prize bribe, and I'm sure most of the Hawks, all the former AMSOG guys, and even all the ACC guys would agree. Team work, creative solutions to objectives, and physical challenge... That is why many of us form teams and surround ourselves with like minded players. Personally, if I was in it for the joy of the kill alone I would be playing paintball, then I would not have to worry about the honor system.

Your mileage may vary but I did want to slip this into the thread.

Back on topic... I may try to slip out to this game if the old lady is working since it is just down the street. You can mark me as tentative if you would like but right now I would guess the chances of making it at no more then 50%.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby ultimentra on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:56 am

Trust me kiley, I am all for working as a team and completing the objectives. But there really is no clear way to force people to perform those objectives. These were simple games designed to be made so that a clear winner could be declared at the end of the day, but it seems that all people want to do is shoot at each other regardless. I have seen this happen at big games and small games alike. If someone knows a magical formula to get people to play the game, im all ears. But just telling me, oh no ones going to play the objectives everyone's just going to shoot at each other why should I come play at your games when I can go play paintball, doesn't help. (not pointing at you in particular kiley, I have heard this stuff a lot.) If 20 people don't sign up by friday morning im canceling the game, just isn't worth the trip otherwise.
ultimentra
TAC XO

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Event Posts