Oro Valley AO Improvements

Public suggestions and discussion regarding current or future AO's

Moderator: Moderators

Oro Valley AO Improvements

Postby The Honey Badger on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:41 am

Buffalo mentioned minor improvements...

Project #1
There is an access road that is unused due to the water company dumping old asphalt at the entrance to it. This road runs out to the cattle gate and has fallen out of repair. Just after the "No Dumping" sign there is filler material that was dumped by someone. There are piles of 8" to 10" stone, crusher run, and pea gravel. We can use it to fix the erosion and carelessness of the water company so that cars may get further into the wash.
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Re: Oro Valley AO Improvements

Postby The Honey Badger on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:08 pm

10-1-13 -I'm going to head to the AO and use buckets to transport fill material to the hole in the road. I will be there between 1530 and 1830. On Thursday or Friday, Braden and I will stump the bush and cholla next to the ingress point. What still needs to be done, we will complete then.

This will open the old ranch road up for us to get out to Iron Drum and beyond with normal cars.
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Postby The Honey Badger on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:16 pm

Fortifications and other landmarks will be constructed over the next few weeks.

These will include palette forts and static flag bases. I don't want to use things that will look out of place and I want material that blends. If you have stuff laying around bring it out.
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Postby KileyHAZ on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:53 pm

The Honey Badger wrote:Fortifications and other landmarks will be constructed over the next few weeks.

These will include palette forts and static flag bases. I don't want to use things that will look out of place and I want material that blends. If you have stuff laying around bring it out.

I see you cite avoiding use of materials that look out of place which is good. We should not be significantly altering any land that is not owned by one of us or we have express written permission from the land owner.

Filling a dip in a road is cool... rearrangeing a pile of dead fall is cool... adding a set of flags or stripes to trees to blaze a trail is cool... All of these are minor and non invasive, but you will want to make sure an discourage any thinking of building extensive pallet citys, cinder block pile boxes, trench and bunker networks and the like. There is a fine line between 'improvment' and 'vandalism' and what we see as improved or no big deal could be a HUGE deal for other parties that use the area.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby The Honey Badger on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:33 am

KileyHAZ wrote:
The Honey Badger wrote:Fortifications and other landmarks will be constructed over the next few weeks.

I see you cite avoiding use of materials that look out of place which is good. We should not be significantly altering any land that is not owned by one of us or we have express written permission from the land owner.

Filling a dip in a road is cool... rearrangeing a pile of dead fall is cool... adding a set of flags or stripes to trees to blaze a trail is cool... All of these are minor and non invasive, but you will want to make sure an discourage any thinking of building extensive pallet citys, cinder block pile boxes, trench and bunker networks and the like. There is a fine line between 'improvment' and 'vandalism' and what we see as improved or no big deal could be a HUGE deal for other parties that use the area.

Other than a pallet or 2 and a few sand bags I intended no other fortifications. The land is owned by Pima county and is ranch lend land. I hope no one dumps crap out there. That will screw the pooch for sure.
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Postby ultimentra on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:53 am

We could either use things that
A- We can take with us when we leave, man portable stuff
or
B- Something we store on site in a place thats out of the way, which also might be misunderstood as dumping.

Its a shame that when all someone wants to do is have fun that doesn't hurt people and doesn't support illicit trade markets, all they can ever do is talk about what they can't do instead of what they can. Looking at this thread that way kinda depresses me a little. Just a little disillusionment with the way things are bureaucracy wise I guess.
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby Ghoul on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Ultimentra,

I know exactly how you feel. Ever since being dumped by the Babacomari Ranch, I've had similar thoughts. I have had some luck on that front however. I've been in negotiations with their lawyer and have come to a agreement concerning the usage of their land for airsoft. I have meet with several of their board members and the attorney and we have actually walked around the ranch discussing what portions we would want to use. If things go the way I think they will, then we will have triple the land to play as before! I plan on splitting the AO into three fields. I think these new fields would be even better than the previous field as the river runs through it and the terrain is amazing.

But, the final decision is still in the hands of the lawyers and they are taking their time with it. The positive thing that makes me not lose hope is that the Ranch Board of Directors has given Brenda and I the gate code to the Eastern Gate.
Ghoul
Private

Postby KileyHAZ on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 pm

ultimentra wrote:We could either use things that
A- We can take with us when we leave, man portable stuff
or
B- Something we store on site in a place thats out of the way, which also might be misunderstood as dumping.

Its a shame that when all someone wants to do is have fun that doesn't hurt people and doesn't support illicit trade markets, all they can ever do is talk about what they can't do instead of what they can. Looking at this thread that way kinda depresses me a little. Just a little disillusionment with the way things are bureaucracy wise I guess.

A & B both sound fine. As to the last paragraph... Not sure if that was leveled at my positions or just law and order in general. I know I sound like I'm a naysayer, really I'm not it just comes across that way because I try to head off stupid people tricks. When TJC talks about props and positions we both have a limit in mind, I just call it out for any idiots who think that group approval is a license to drag a junk yard out and set it up. I'll make an effort to bit my lip harder (and persecute said idiots with a fierce passion in return) and we can see if that helps a bit.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby ultimentra on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:05 pm

Not leveled at your position at all Kiley, I was just feeling a bit depressed about the situation at the time. It's just the reality of the society that we live in nowadays, which is filled to the brim with bureaucracy of every kind at every turn, even where it isn't needed. There's no need for lip biting, because what you're saying is absolutely true. The truth can be depressing sometimes though. When it comes to limitations of our hobby, sport, whatever you want to call it due to people not understanding it, being afraid of it due to incessant and ridiculous government propaganda, and government bureaucrats just simply not giving a crap, its disillusioning. We've all had conversations about it before, that we all pretty much accept the situation for what it is, and we realize that it could be better.

Even though it sucks, the truth is often what people need to hear. Life under a top-heavy bureaucratic society is either having the right connections or working with the cards you're dealt.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with anything you've said in the thread, I think we all can agree with that. I know I agree with you, because it's the reality of the situation.
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby The Honey Badger on Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:15 pm

The road is now improved all the way to Iron Drum Hill. Any low clearance car can drive over it, and the vegitation was removed to allow any pick up access without getting scratched up.
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Return to AO Suggestions and Discussion