SASCO Foot Bridge

Public suggestions and discussion regarding current or future AO's

Moderator: Moderators

SASCO Foot Bridge

Postby PhaedrusZen on Thu May 14, 2009 4:08 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows what the land rights are along the washes we cross going to Sasco from Red Rock. I've got a couple ideas for foot bridges to cross the water for those of us without 4x4 vehicles, that aren't too labor or materials intensive.

Do we need permission from anyone, or do you think we'd be ok putting the bridge up, either up or down stream, out of site of the road? (Or next to the road if there's no problem with that.)

I've tried searching for Pinal Co. maps that are similar to the Pima Co. maps, which show land ownership, but have had no luck. I'm guessing there's some kind of right-of-way along the banks, but I'm not sure.

In theory I can make a bridge that is something we can break down and store, if we don't want to leave it in place.
Let me know if there's any interest or if anyone has any info on the area. I still need to see exactly what kind of span we're looking at, but it should be doable, and it might be nice to have something in place for the big op on May 30th.

(I haven't been down there for a LONG time...are there two water crossings or just the one?)
sky soldier wrote:...Oh wait, nevermind his lips are painted orange, they must not be real cuss words.
PhaedrusZen
Executive Advisor

Re: SASCO Foot Bridge

Postby ultimentra on Fri May 15, 2009 12:08 pm

We need one of those old soviet bridging tanks they used to get across rivers in the cold war. I read about them using them in a Tom Clancy novel. That was so cool. And it would be perfect! Now the only thing is getting from Russia to the US...Hey Icon.. :lol:
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby Riptoor on Fri May 15, 2009 12:13 pm

its still a pretty far walk past the water i would say just hitch a ride.
Riptoor
Private 1st Class

Postby KileyHAZ on Fri May 15, 2009 12:20 pm

I have no idea who owns that area, but my bet is they would not appreciate us setting up a bridge...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby Farslayer on Fri May 15, 2009 6:10 pm

You can easily walk accross with your gear and hook up with someone on the other side.
Farslayer
Private 1st Class

Postby PhaedrusZen on Fri May 15, 2009 7:42 pm

My job keeps me from showing up early to catch rides to most games. I'm not above hoofing it to the site, but wet boots all day just doesn't appeal to me. ( I have someone coming in early to relieve me at work so I can make the HHE without this problem, but it's not an option most days.)

I looked @ the crossing today and if you follow the dirt trail to the right at the crossing, there's a bunch of deadfall that pretty much makes a natural bridge right there... next time I'll look before I post. Guess I just wanted to build something. :lol:
sky soldier wrote:...Oh wait, nevermind his lips are painted orange, they must not be real cuss words.
PhaedrusZen
Executive Advisor

Postby Friendly Fire on Fri May 22, 2009 10:38 pm

In Rotc we use a special Rope bridge to shuttle men and supplies across rivers. With a well trained Raiders platoon, we could cross within 9 minutes (my unit set that record) It is attached to two trees on opposite sides of the river. One can also rig the rope to a vehicle on one side if need be...

If someone brings a high-quality nylon rope, some carabeeners, and a few harnesses, i can shuffle people across 1-by-1
That is, if you have enough strength to pull themselves across, its a dry safe, crossing!

Its called a One-Rope-Bridge if anyones interested...
Friendly Fire
Private 1st Class

Postby PhaedrusZen on Fri May 22, 2009 11:16 pm

I've got plenty of webbing that would do the trick. The only rope I have is dynamic; not so good for a crossing. I think there are trees that would be suitable for rigging. It might be fun to set that up anyway, just for kicks. Easily set up and easy to take down. We'll see...
PhaedrusZen
Executive Advisor

Postby IconarmsDealer on Sat May 23, 2009 7:32 am

Unless that water is really whipping across there most autos will make it. I have seen mini vans make it (L33t) and even a n old chevy Nova......Now if you are driving a smart car I wouldnt try it.. Theres always the back way in..

Drive slow, and follow the track of others
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby ultimentra on Sat May 23, 2009 8:55 am

If your driving a car, just show up early and ask someone for a ride across. Always worked for me :) .
ultimentra
TAC XO

Next

Return to AO Suggestions and Discussion