34TH SPECIAL PRP.UNIT SPETSNATZ-VERWOLVES

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Team Discussion forums are provided as a courtesy by the Tucson Airsoft Coalition staff. To acquire your own team discussion forum you may request one from an admin or moderator if the following two conditions are met:

a) You have 3 or more active players to fill the team
b) Your team captain is a fully paid and papered member of TAC

Moderation staff reserves the right to close a team discussion forum if the team that requested it is inactive for a prolonged period of time.

Re: Secondary uniform impressions

Postby KileyHAZ on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:57 am

ultimentra wrote:The furry thing on the top of the girls head. Those are traditional russian hats (babushka i think?).

Pretty sure babushka means old lady or grandma... Why do you try ushanka ;)
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby KileyHAZ on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:43 am

Alright, I'm going to do you guys a favor, judging by the stereotypes I've seen made thus far in this thread its pretty obvious only Icon and maybe ultimentra have a real good idea of what the modern Russian fighting force looks like these days, so I'll share some tid bits that may change the mind of a few of you guys.

I know when we first approach a Russian impression I had this image of a soldier in great coat with a weather beaten AK47 duck taped together and a fully bearded face peering out from under a fur cap. While that was the case in some of the fronts of the second WW2 when the Russians violently retaliated on the Germans that is not the face of the modern russian army.

The modern russian armed forces are armed with a mix of weapons ranging from hi tech state of the art automatic rifles and grenade launchers to slightly older afghan era AKS 74s and even some RPKs that rely on the old 7.62 caliber bullet. Depending on what branch and unit uniforms can be matching and pressed to a mixture of what each solder finds most comfortable or best suits their job.

Below you will find a link to a site that hosts many photos from the conflict in Chechnya and a few from the Georgia conflict. Be warned these photos are GRAPHIC, you will see dead people and chunks of human meat blown around some of the photos so view at your own risk. What I noticed going through them is each unit was unique in what weapons and armor systems they deployed and even have mixed uniforms in several cases.

http://www.pbase.com/igor01/chechnya

Just for some eye candy here are some of the setups we use in our impression of the 45th.

What it comes down to is you don't have to be mini clones of each other like a NATO based force and still fit the impression perfectly. While most Russian soldier use an AK74 or variant you will also find a mix of western weapons, especially in spetsnaz groups, so not everyone needs an AK, though it certainly adds weight to the impression!

I'll leave you with more eye candy...

KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby firebert on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:04 am

For me personally before Icon suggested the team getting a Russian setup I was thinking something a little more like this. Just as an example.

http://www.red-alliance.net/gallery/OP_ ... 1_1024x700
firebert
Private

Postby KileyHAZ on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:07 am

Afghan era VDV very nice choice!
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby ultimentra on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:15 am

I know quite a bit about the Russian military. Enough to know that they know use Black AK-100 models or the equivalent. AK-103 uses 7.62, AK-104 uses 5.45, AK-105 uses 5.45 w/ a shorter barrel. Russia is a modern military that doesn't like to play by the rules :twisted: . I haven't seen much use of the dragunov mentioned, it might be getting switched out for the vintorez. Something that would be cool to see is one of us use the modern dragunov with the black polymer furniture that I have seen in pics with russian modern forces. I might wanna save up for when those come out because they are so BA.
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby T3hl33tn00b on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:46 pm

KileyHAZ wrote:Alright, I'm going to do you guys a favor, judging by the stereotypes I've seen made thus far in this thread its pretty obvious only Icon and maybe ultimentra have a real good idea of what the modern Russian fighting force looks like these days

Just becouse some of us (specifically me) didnt say much, doesnt mean we didnt know, and I dont think I made any comments on steriotypes, Ultimentra may have, so I dont see why that had to be said. So I think it would be a good Idea if maybe next time you can leave that out. ;)

I for one think that a Russian based secondary uniform would be cool, and shouldnt be THAT expensive, at least not for the skinny folks out there, hehe :lol: :lol:
Last edited by T3hl33tn00b on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
T3hl33tn00b
Master Sergeant

Postby AZsharpshooter on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:03 pm

T3hl33tn00b wrote:Just becouse some of us (specifically me) didnt say much, doesnt mean we didnt know, and I dont think I made any comments on steriotypes, Ultimentra may have, so I dont see why that had to be said. So I think it would be a good Idea if maybe next time you can leave that out. :evil:

I would take into consideration that Kiley probably wasn't talking to you. ;)
Primary- G&G GR-16 carbine (M4A1)
Back up- Echo 1 G36C
Secondary- KWA G23F

Just call me Sharpshooter
AZsharpshooter
Sergeant

Postby Striker on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:33 pm

T3hl33tn00b wrote: and shouldnt be THAT expensive, at least not for the skinny folks out there, hehe :lol: :lol:

Actually, you would be surprised. I tried to get my team set for BH II, and there was basically no camo available, at least not for the skinny people. Beside that, the uniforms arent cheap.
Striker
Executive Advisor

Postby KileyHAZ on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:43 am

Hahaha, no insult intended I just wanted to share some info that surprised me when I learned it and changed my idea of what Russian soldiers looked like, take it for whatever you want...

meh, uniforms are about the same price as US ones if you dont try to rush to do it last second. Ebay is a great source to get them for a decent price. Russian stores have the best selections but the shipping times are a real killer. Like Striker eluded to, the larger folks have an easier time finding a good deal on a uniform then the more medium/regular frames because the supply is greater for the larger uniforms.
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby ultimentra on Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:57 am

So I have a question. Which takes priority? The multicam BDU's or the uniform of mother russia? I have yet to purchase either :D . Also I have another question about uniforms, my current vest is OD green. I really like it. Will I be able to wear it with any of these loadouts or am I going to kiss it goodbye for expensive MOLLE stuff?
ultimentra
TAC XO

PreviousNext

Return to The 49th Commandos