Need a Tech?

This section for buying or selling of services

Moderator: Moderators

Need a Tech?

Postby Friendly Fire on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:18 pm

I am going to advertise my services for the TAC community as far as parts installations and various other AEG maintenance services are concerned.

Offered Services:
Parts Installation/Replacement
Shimming
Lubrication and Cleaning
Rewiring
and more... just ask

Pricing
Pricing is a variable that depends on labor-intensity, how much parts cost, etc.
A general drop-in part replacement will run between 15-30 dollars depending on the brand, amount of parts, and any custom work needed.

Trouble-shooting
(no pun intended)
Many gear-box related problems cannot be determined exactly without opening up the gun. In this case, a diagnostic, AKA me opening the gearbox, must happen. This MIGHT add an extra charge, simply because I might not have the part, might be able to fix it without a part, or might have to put the gun back together right away.

Parts:
At the moment my back-stock is really low, so if you don't know what part you need, I can recommend a part and order it for you. The price will be included with installation costs.

Shoot me a PM if you have any problems and I can give you a rough price-qoute!
Friendly Fire
Private 1st Class

Re: Need a Tech?

Postby KileyHAZ on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:55 am

Do you warranty the work at all? If I give you a gun and you recommend we replace parts X and Y if the parts fail or cause another systematic failure do you cover it or do I?

What is your hand-off criteria? Do you have the customer fire it and then sign off on whether they accept the work or not?

Not sure how Gearbox or DP handle their tech work but I have seen the above questions cause headache for other at-home techs in the past. Nothing is worse then agreeing to work on someones gun and for one reason or another you are taking it home every week to fix something else and having that awkward discussion of who's dime its on. I don't do much tech work on anyone's stuff for this exact reason.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby Friendly Fire on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:22 am

I guess I hadn't really factored that in... Large companies like Evike charge arounds 100 dollars and will generally revamp your gun, but they wont simply put in a select part. As you know, that will literally cuase another problem down the road.

But you are right. This will just get complicated. I felt like I needed to atleast put myself out, as I have done tech work for 3 people since moving back, working on my 4th, and since then, everyone has been happy. I'm doing some wiring stuff for Gills at the moment, and if that falls through, then I will feel comfortable offering my help.

I would SAY, that it would be smart for me to explicitly say whether or not I can do something, or whether or not I think it will create problems. I generally keep my hands away from complicated things... as they create more problems which could be pinned on me,

For example, I am installing a MOSFET, new wiring harness, and deans connectors for Gills. There isn't much that can go wrong there.
Friendly Fire
Private 1st Class

Postby KileyHAZ on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Certainly not trying to shoot you down, just pointing out its better to put a policy in writing so you and your buyer both know the stakes.

Friendly Fire wrote:For example, I am installing a MOSFET, new wiring harness, and deans connectors for Gills. There isn't much that can go wrong there.

So if the gearbox craps out he is on his own even if he 'swears' it was fine before the wiring went out?

I'm sure it is nothing you and he (or others) can't work out on a case by case basis but I have seen guns come back to Brian 5 or 6 times for assorted things simply because he was the last one to touch it regardless if the failures were related or not or the parts given to him were solid or not.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Return to Services