This is a place for TAC Members to give the lowdown on their guns and gear

Review: Thunder B Grenade

Postby Exarach on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:38 pm

*for some reason I am unable to post in the review section

A Review of the Thunder B Simulation Grenade
By Exarach

Full manual can be found here:
http://www.hakkotsu.com/download/Thunder%20B%20Manual%20v2.pdf
For a few years now I have been looking for a usable, cheap, and reliable airsoft grenade.
I used moscarts for a while, they were fun, but they were pretty ineffective and time consuming, not to mention maintainance heavy and expensive,
I wanted something simple, easy to use...... not a lot of maintaining work.
After several disappointments with a few of the projectile throwing grenades, which spew pellets at random, when they decide to work, and having no interest in a fake plastic grenade, which I consider to be both a waste of time, and obnoxious to other players, (Its like throwing a rock, and calling it a grenade) I decided to pick up a thunder B grenade.

My interest was peaked when I saw some for sale on the forum, however, I decided to poke around the net, and found that the grenade itself is only $22! With the additional shells coming in at around 80-90cents apiece.

I was sold. I picked up a player package for a mere $32, and had it at my door with free shipping in 3 days from AEX! Second time I have had excellent results from them.

The Thunder B arrived in a nicely packaged brown cardboard container, and came included with
1x Thunder B Core
2x Thunder B Pins
12x Thunder B Soundflash shells

* Just to note, the Thunder B can use either Mark. II or Flashbang Shells, but the flashbang shell produces a much louder result.

The grenade is of excellent build quality, far superior to other $20 grenades, the shells are hard plastic, and barely move, even squeezing one as hard as possible.
The grenade has a great weight, and a very usable size, it fits nicely into a mag pouch and fits very nicely into your hand for a throw.
The grenade comes with a metal core and spoon, but the outer upper is plastic, hard plastic, but it could provide future problems if abused. Had some problems with the hammer, but more on that later.

Pros:
Grenade has a fantastic feel, and is extremely easy to operate and maintain
The grenade produces a very satisfying bang, as all those who went to sasco this weekend can attest to :)
Excellent force multiplier
Great distraction
Easy reuseability
Tough

Cons:
Need a new C02 cartridge for every throw, not killer but still an expense
Hammer does not function correctly without modification, extremely simple
Can be lost easily, I was bummed at SASCO because I forgot to throw the grenade with a ribbon on it, and just threw the grenade itself, took me about 15 minutes to find it again.
Have to keep track of pins!!!! I lost my good one when I threw the first grenade, It was dropped in excitement and lost, others are now secured with paracord.

Thoughts and comments:

Worth every dollar, this grenade was fantastic and fun, and after a few minutes of ingenuity, works great every time. Looks good, and lets everyone know that you threw a grenade into the field .
Also, there have been some reports that this grenade is so loud that it causes instant hearing damage, I cannot attest to how it would preform in a CQB environment, but for this rumor in the field, I can call 100% bullshit.

I threw this grenade numerous times during the course of the game, and neither I nor the participants whom I targeted suffered any ill effects, I infact received numerous compliments and questions about the shell.

And at one point while I was messing with the spring, I accidentally had the grenade go off in my hand. :evil:
Needless to say, I am typing with all ten fingers, and listening with both ears. Even after that, all I received was a slight ringing in my ears. Similar to turning off a loud stereo.

Problems:
I had one major problem with my thunder B, but it was easily remedied, I began to notice that, when thrown, the thunder b did not go off, but just sat around, as no C02 was being released, in order to get it to fire, I had to manually pull the pin, pop the spoon, and ratchet back the hammer, all while still holding the grenade!!!!!
As I have stated above, this is dangerous, as it can lead to the grenade popping in your hand, as it did with me.
I found that this was because the spoon was putting too much weight on the hammer, and causing it to lack the force necessary to hit the plunger hard enough to break the seal on the C02 container. Thus, no explosion.

However, there is good news, the solution is simple! with this in mind, I simply unscrewed the core, and stuck a penny right under the C02 cartridge. This worked great! It fits like it was meant to be there, and stays put well.
Now, with the 'ole Lincoln assist, my thunder B works great, and fires constantly every time!

Fun:
the fun factor on this grenade is enormous, It is easily one of the better things I have ever purchased, and there are several ways to increase the dosage!

Fill it with powder! - While this helps in locating the grenade, and finding who is out, I dislike this method because it leaves the grenade very dirty, and I get gold bond all over my OD gear. :P

Fill it with Pellets! - Absolute genius, this baby spewed out pellets up to about 15 feet in all directions, and the bang it made stayed the same, just as loud, but now has a pellet radius :) Only downside was that the grenade rattled when I ran, and that is a no, considering it is the reason I ditched my highcaps.

Verdict:

I would hands down recommend this grenade to anyone who is interested in a serious airsoft grenade, on a limited budget, it is fun and easy to use, and an all around eye catcher on the field.
It is easy to maintain, and parts are easy to come by.
If anyone would like to buy one of these baby's, or try them out, hit me up, as I will definitely be ordering more of them in the future!
for now,
-Exarach out
"Friendly fire isn't"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?
IconarmsDealer wrote:We are just figureheads.

IconarmsDealer wrote:Fuck you you fat mother fucker
Exarach
Master Sergeant

Re: Review: Thunder B Grenade

Postby xblackthund3rx on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:51 pm

I have considered getting this for a while now. Thanks for the great review when I get the money im going to pick one up. That just tipped my opinion over the maybe I should get it to I defiantly want it/need it haha
forumlogo by BLACK_THUNDER, on Flickr
G4-A2 Blazing hog, TM 1911, KWA KMP9, Echo 1 MK5, CYMA AK47
xblackthund3rx
Private

Postby Exarach on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:15 pm

xblackthund3rx wrote:I have considered getting this for a while now. Thanks for the great review when I get the money im going to pick one up. That just tipped my opinion over the maybe I should get it to I defiantly want it/need it haha

Glad I could help! :)
If you want to get that player package from AEX, I highly recommend it. Free shipping from them makes everything sooo much cheaper :)
"Friendly fire isn't"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?
IconarmsDealer wrote:We are just figureheads.

IconarmsDealer wrote:Fuck you you fat mother fucker
Exarach
Master Sergeant

Postby quadro on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Great review! All of the players from around here that went to Red Storm march used these. Even most of the cali guys used these. they are great for cqb and do actually give a stun affect when used properly. Here is another review of these from a former AEX employee and DH friend.

http://deserthawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1010
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Harold R. McAlindon

quadro
Executive Advisor

Return to Reviews