Share your experience with your guns and gear here

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This is a place for TAC Members to give the lowdown on their guns and gear

A&K m249 para review and parts guide

Postby clayton on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:56 am

A&K M249 SAW paratrooper REVIEW

THE UNBOXING

When I first recieved the gun, The packaging was plain card board. Once I opened the box, there was the m249 folded up, a colorful instruction manual, a green 9.6v 1400 mah small type battery, a 2500rd electric box magazine, and a standard wall charger.
Once I first picked up the gun out of the box, I immediately fell in obsession with the cold metal and realistic build feel of the m249.

How to use it

Once you have the gun and magazine out of the box, you will notice that the carry handle, bipod, and stock are folded in. To retract the stock, you must pull, then twist. To unfold the carryhandle, you must push back on the front of it, then twist up. Last, the bipod will be folded into the handguard. You must sqeeze the two feet together and pull down. You will notice the bipod has two grooves near the hinge. These two grooves allow you to keep the bipod in the position pictured below...

you will need to keep the bipod in this position if you wish to store it while using an aftermarket ris system and vertical grip, similar to the one used by the force recon operator above.

The box magazine is one of the most fragile and expensive parts of the gun. The magazine is constructed of 95% plastic, and is a little bit thicker than ABS. In order to load the magazine, you will haxe to open the main cover, and first insert 2 AA batteries into the slot provided. In order to test if the magazine is functional, there will be a switch on the bottom of the magazine pictured below...

The directions are pretty much self explanitory from this view. The sound control feature will grant you a great advantage to never have to rewind the magazine during a skirmish for all 2400 rds. Continuing on the loading, you can either pour the bbs into the box from the main cover, or you can pour them into the small door on top next to the feed tubes. Once the magazine is loaded, you must insert the magazine guide into the mag well on the left side of the reciever, then lock the box into the bottom port of the reciever.

This magazine seen above, is an aftermarket model manufactured by MAG. I highly reccomend purchasing one of these, for it will last 5 times longer than the normal box magazine. it loads differently, but gives you higher mobility, and enables you to better shoulder the weapon. It holds about 1500 rounds, and is winded by a pressure switch. Mine was purchased on airsoftgi.com for $101.97 using a coupon code called chris.

build quality/ stock performance

The m249 is made of zinc alloy, and nylon fiber. The gun is completely zinc cast, besides the handguard, grip, and carry handle grip. Unloaded, the gun weighs in at about 16 pounds. Loaded, it weighs about 19 pounds. Stock, the gun will have a muzzle velocity of about 330 fps. This velocity will most likely drop to about 20 fps in 9-10 months of use. The first partsin the 8mm gearbox to break, will be the piston teeth, and, or the trigger switch. That will happen using a 9.6v battery or lower. Another notice will be the signifigant drop in rof from about 950 rpm to 600-700 rpm. The hopup failed within 7-8 months of use. Another important feature i liked was the hopup being accessible by lifting the feed tray cover. The barrel and hopup can be removed by the quick release barrel feature as seen on real steel versions. Parts on this gun that do come apart like the real steel, is the stock, barrel, heat shield, and lower reciever. If im not mistaken it is compatible with reel steel bipods. Pictured below, is the complete beast of an 8mm gearbox found under the hood, in this case the feed cover...

PROS AND CONS

PROS
-cheapest LMG replica on the market $250 usd airsplat.com
-sturdy
-easy gearbox access
-easy real-steel style dissassembly
-gets your team out of tight situations
-ris on the feed tray allows optics
-can share ammo with team by m4 mags

CONS
-parts get expensive
-requires modification for a larger battery
-crap hopup bucking
-cheap piston teeth
-easily breakable mag
-just dont buy it if your weak

AFTERMARKET PARTS

STOCKS

This stock, Is one of the newest on the market in both real steel, and in the airsoft industry. This is the G&P improved collapsible stock. This stock type, is one of the most popular styles being used by saw gunners on the streets of iraq today. The main feature on this stock, is the 6- position AR design that was developed under advice and input by m249 operators on the field having complaints on their current issue fixed stocks and para stocks. This new design allows for quick transition between low profile cqb or room clearing, to well placed fire from the shoulder in the open. This stock runs for $120.00 usd on evike.com

The stock shown here is an echo1 manufactured replica of an adaptor for an m4 stock commonly integrated by US army rangers onto their mk46 mod 0 's. This adaptor is a cheap alternative to buying an improved collapsible stock, and is compatible with any TM m4 style stock. You can purchase this stock for $50.00 at airsoftgi.com
BOTH STOCKS ARE SHOWN BELOW IN THE PICTURE

This stock is another add on by G&P, the mk46 stock. It is similar to the standard m249 stock design, except there is no shoulder rest, and the sling mount is moved to the base of the stock. evike.com $79.99

handguards/ris

These two ris pieces seen above, makes up a highly recommended modification to the front end of your m249. This will enable you to mount lasers, grips, ris attached bipods, and flashlights. The one thing youll have to do to use this modification, is either rewire the battery to an aftermarket fixed stock, or attach a peq replica to the ris.
This mod will set you back at least $150.00, but it will unlock alot of new ways to operate your m249.

OVERALL
Overall, I'd give this gun an 8 out of 10 on the market for an effective support weapon.
clayton
1st Lieutenant

Re: A&K m249 para review and parts guide

Postby IconarmsDealer on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:40 am

Nice write up Best I have seen in a while
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Re: A&K m249 para review and parts guide

Postby clayton on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:53 am

thanks
clayton