DE UMP Review!

Share your experience with your guns and gear here

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This is a place for TAC Members to give the lowdown on their guns and gear

DE UMP Review!

Postby T3hl33tn00b on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:57 pm

My first review, so be kind, but I appretiate all feedback!

DE M89 UMP Review
By: T3hl33tn00b

Appearance:

Overall verry impressed, nice flat black paint, sturdy feel, and no creaks or moans whatsoever, even in the folding stock! When I tore open the brown paper packaging from ASGI I was pleasantly surprised at the well translated information, instead of the oh so comon Engrish for a Chinese clone!

When I opened the box, I was also surprised to see a good quality all metal adjustable laser and the battey was a surprise as well, It was NOT the reported 9.6v, but a small 8.4, I kinda figured it would be, but a guy can dream, right?

Image (note, the hop up bucking packaging, was an Item I ordered WITH it, they just put it inside the box after they tested the gun)

The gun came with a cheap plastic red dot sight, and a flashlight that didnt work, as well as a cheap black sling which is a nicer quality for a freebe, but too small for me to use the gun with the stock extended,but Im a big, broad shouldered guy so it didn't fit me but might someone smaller then my 6'5" of pillsbury doughboy goodness! but those are hardly worth mentioning.

Build Quality:

Once again this little guy impressed me, its a nice quality plastic body, with no creaks, or wobble in it, the charging handle is metal, but it came from ASGI loose and wobbly, and I havent gotten around to trying to fix it yet. The ejection port cover is also metal, and works well, as do the locks, thats right there are TWO locks to hold back the metal ejection port cover. One is on the charging handle as seen in the pictures, the other is the button near the magazine port, also in the pictures. the button is metal as well! the gun comes with four rails for accesories, and almost as many accessories, but enough about those, the rails are all metal and have a nice finish, there are moulding lines, but for the price, what do you expect?

Image the charging handle in the locked position

Image button in the unlocked position

Image View down the sights (CQB/ close range sight up)

The battery port comes with a thin metal guide in it so it will only fit 8.4 stick type batteries(like the one it comes with, coincidence??) but the removal of only a few screws(4) makes room for a custom nunchuck type or a custom 9.6 small double stick like the one on ASGI.

the charging handle works well, but I wouldnt play with it much, it just feels flimsy...
The hop-up in my gun was good, and its all metal, but lacked the presition in adjustment I wanted in the lower end, so I replaced the bucking and spacer with a G&G one form ASGI, and wuala! the presition I wanted, and fewer flyers, what more could a guy ask for from a $6.50 part?

The plastic highcap works surprisingly well, It feed almost flawlessly, and holds allot of ammo(aprx 350rds.) and I only had to wind mine 3 thimes per mag and it was empty! it does leave about 25-30 rounds in the mag, but thats the nature of highcap mags.

The Internals:

The internals are pretty much all metal, and a mostly standered V3 gearbox, and high speed motor. The only real difference is the spring guide is held in the gearbox, so It doesnt fly out at you while dissasembling your gun! the only non metal internal parts I could find(I didnt take apart the gearbox, but I have the info from a good source) are the spring guide and the bushings. the shimming is not very good, if you know how and have the time, I would definantly reshim the gearbox, and that gives you an excuse to put in metal bushings too!

Image Field Stripped M89 UMP

Field stripping is as easy as 1-2-3, literally! 1: remove the body pin at the back of the gun and pivot the lower reciever down, be sure to press the hop-up forward, to release the air nozzle!

2. Slip the lower recierver forward, and place it gently on the ground or workspace.

3. twist the hop-up clockwise and pull out the hop-up/barrel assembly and you're done!
Image Close up of the gearbox( sry I didnt have the hex wrench to get it out of the reciever...)

Performance:

Unfortunatly, due to some uncontrolable circomestances, I was only able to shoot the 25' target test( the hop up adjustment was messed up, my fault, I put the bucking in wrong!) but it was not bad, especially for a botched hop-up! ASGI pre shipment test and chrono showed 350 FPS w/.20 bbs!

Image 10/10 hit in a fairly tight circle for a botched hop-up and such a short barrel!

Pros:
Cheap, like the $100 range cheap!
Completely G&G compatable internals
shoots accuratly for such a small gun
field stripping is EASY!

Cons: other than my dumb hop-up mistake( i fixed it now, more pics of tests later)
the paint is whearing off awful fast for my liking,
one of the freebies came broken( I know, Im streching it here!)

Overall, Id go for it if you want a good beginer gun, or an upgradable CQB gun with a high FPS. only thing I would prefer was a better quality paint, it looks good, but it rubs off just holding the thing! but alas that can be fixed with a good ol can of krylon!
Last edited by T3hl33tn00b on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T3hl33tn00b
Master Sergeant

Re: DE UMP Review!

Postby ultimentra on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:13 pm

Nice dude. I need to learn how to field strip my freaking AK, if I dont something tells me bad things will happen.
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby T3hl33tn00b on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:55 pm

LOL, nice!

Look it up online, I found mine on BOTH youtube AND airsplat! so do a little research and its easy!
T3hl33tn00b
Master Sergeant

Postby KileyHAZ on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:04 pm

Not a big fan of DE but a very nice review, high quality even!
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby T3hl33tn00b on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:15 pm

KileyHAZ wrote:Not a big fan of DE but a very nice review, high quality even!

thanks, yea I bought it on a whim, the quality surprised me, but its still not as good as some china guns, but for the price and performance, if a UMP is what you want this is it, TSD rebrands these, so they cant be all bad...
T3hl33tn00b
Master Sergeant

Postby Abhorsen on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:00 pm

I just want to get the point out there that the stock battery that comes with it SUCKS! With a little modification you can get a 9.6v Intellect stick battery in there and when you do it has a much, much higher rate of fire.
Abhorsen
Recruit

Postby T3hl33tn00b on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:34 pm

Abhorsen wrote:I just want to get the point out there that the stock battery that comes with it SUCKS! With a little modification you can get a 9.6v Intellect stick battery in there and when you do it has a much, much higher rate of fire.

Thanks for pointing that out, though I believe I mention that in the review already, if you would read the whole thing BEFORE replying next time I would appretiate it!
T3hl33tn00b
Master Sergeant

Postby Abhorsen on Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:03 pm

You never said anything about the quality of the battery, only that it was an 8.4 and not a 9.6.

Just wanted to reinforce the point. That's all. No need to get upset about it.
Abhorsen
Recruit

Postby T3hl33tn00b on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:18 pm

Abhorsen wrote:You never said anything about the quality of the battery, only that it was an 8.4 and not a 9.6.

Just wanted to reinforce the point. That's all. No need to get upset about it.

right right, but I did say you could upgrade and put a 9.6 custom pack in it... and Im not angry, but stating that I had mentioned it. enough about that tho, lets stay on topic!
T3hl33tn00b
Master Sergeant

Postby AZsharpshooter on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:03 pm

Last edited by T3hl33tn00b on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So why did you edit it after Abhorsen said somthing about it. JK.
Primary- G&G GR-16 carbine (M4A1)
Back up- Echo 1 G36C
Secondary- KWA G23F

Just call me Sharpshooter
AZsharpshooter
Sergeant

Next

Return to Reviews