M4 Upgrade Time

Here's where you can discuss everything you have, or want but haven't got...

Moderator: Moderators

Re: M4 Upgrade Time

Postby Crono0001 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:41 pm

Ryuken and I are in the process of shimming the gearbox, but I ran out of shims. He's taking it home and shimming it for me in trade for lunch. I have fire tests results of it on stock and it wasn't pretty (range of about 40 feet). I will do the same test again and show results.

On a side note, my EOTech broke :'(
JAG-X
TAC Forum Troll
Crono0001
Master Sergeant

Postby ryukensfj on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:04 pm

Stock shim is pretty bad unless you lost some shims the first time you opened it open... I'll see if I can work on it tonight...
ryukensfj
Corporal

Postby Midnight on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:19 pm

Upgrading plastic china clones is kinda pointless ,i think. Since higher end aeg's are built to last, they hold up to whatever you throw at em. A nice metal hop up (with good bucking and maybe spacer), a good tight bore, and a good spring-battery-motor combination is the best upgrade you can make.

You might wanna try buying a whole new aeg that's better than the every day china rebrand, and using what you have now as a back up if your primary isn't ready at the moment. I have the Echo1 Stag 15 and it has everything you'd want in a gun (maybe a new inner barrel, and a 9.6, and it's all you could hope for.) Mines been down for a while now because i got bad wiring, but the metal body, reinforced gearbox, a great hop up w/ madbull bucking STOCK, you cant complain.

Seems like everyone wants a sniper, and they're good at what they do, and fun, but an upgraded aeg can be wayyy more effective.

The most important thing i have to say is you get what you pay for. Depending on what you want out of airsoft, your budget will be different, but it's worth it getting all that you dream about.

EDIT: Oh sorry, i just realized that Dboys is metal. Looks pretty good. Throw in good bucking and a tightbore and it looks solid. That's a good lookin gun.
Midnight
Recruit

Postby Crono0001 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:36 pm

Midnight wrote:Upgrading plastic china clones is kinda pointless ,i think. Since higher end aeg's are built to last, they hold up to whatever you throw at em. A nice metal hop up (with good bucking and maybe spacer), a good tight bore, and a good spring-battery-motor combination is the best upgrade you can make.

You might wanna try buying a whole new aeg that's better than the every day china rebrand, and using what you have now as a back up if your primary isn't ready at the moment. I have the Echo1 Stag 15 and it has everything you'd want in a gun (maybe a new inner barrel, and a 9.6, and it's all you could hope for.) Mines been down for a while now because i got bad wiring, but the metal body, reinforced gearbox, a great hop up w/ madbull bucking STOCK, you cant complain.

Seems like everyone wants a sniper, and they're good at what they do, and fun, but an upgraded aeg can be wayyy more effective.

The most important thing i have to say is you get what you pay for. Depending on what you want out of airsoft, your budget will be different, but it's worth it getting all that you dream about.

EDIT: Oh sorry, i just realized that Dboys is metal. Looks pretty good. Throw in good bucking and a tightbore and it looks solid. That's a good lookin gun.

To be honest, I don't believe the outside body being metal or plastic have anything to do with the gun's performance other than the fact that I might sit on it with my fat Asian ass. For $150, my gun was the best bang for the buck, no pun intended.

Ryuken and I took apart my gun today, and we found that it's actually better built than what most people give it credit for- being a Dboys and all. The bushings were metal, the spring guide had its own bearings, the stock bucking seems to be no different than the one I just purchased... To be honest, I think my gun will be done after this for a long time (Granted, I spent 100 bucks, so it better be damn done).

I don't see anything else that may need future upgrades.
JAG-X
TAC Forum Troll
Crono0001
Master Sergeant

Postby ryukensfj on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:14 pm

Midnight wrote:Upgrading plastic china clones is kinda pointless ,i think. Since higher end aeg's are built to last, they hold up to whatever you throw at em. A nice metal hop up (with good bucking and maybe spacer), a good tight bore, and a good spring-battery-motor combination is the best upgrade you can make.

LOL you have a china clone yourself ;)

Your gun is shooting good now George. Damn it required A LOT of shims! Well I only have .1 and .2mm shims but it used too much. I'm pretty sure you lost some shims when you opened it the first time and it exploded. That is the only problem I had with the D-boys gearbox. Everything else is good. The gearbox is reinforced and it had bearings on the spring guide and the piston head. Everything that needs to be metal is metal. The piston teeth does seem to be wore down a little, but nothing to worry about.

Only thing can be changed is the piston from plastic to polycarbonate and a better piston head to get better compression. And the stock nozzle is just like most stock nozzles... An airseal air nozzle would help with compression.
ryukensfj
Corporal

Postby Midnight on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:19 pm

ryukensfj wrote:LOL you have a china clone yourself ;)

Lol, i guess i do. But hey, what isn't made in china these days. I meant the typical JG that breaks after a year because of poor quality.And I really don't mind plastic guns, but metal is always nice too. And the Echo1 stag 15 is great, don't let the brand (or re-brand, i guess) fool you, It's Echo1's step in the right direction.

But anyway, that D Boys is pretty good. I'm doing similar upgrades on my gun. The air seals already good, so all i want is a good tightbore barrel and some midcaps, with a few aesthetic upgrades like an aimpoint replica, an ris with some goodies, and a krylon tan paintjob. Pretty typical setup but i like it. Good luck on yours.
Midnight
Recruit

Previous

Return to Guns and Gear