Infantry Assault Rifle

Here's where you can discuss everything you have, or want but haven't got...

Moderator: Moderators

Infantry Assault Rifle

Postby Cheese on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:31 pm

I don't think an airsoft version of the IAR exists yet, so I was wondering if I put together a similar-looking airsoft version, would I be able to count it as an LMG for all rule purposes? Example: at the Grozny game, only LMG's (like the M60, RPK, M249, etc.) could use high-capacity box/drum magazines, but everything else could only use mid-caps.
Cheese
Private

Re: Infantry Assault Rifle

Postby KileyHAZ on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:39 am

Cheese wrote:I don't think an airsoft version of the IAR exists yet, so I was wondering if I put together a similar-looking airsoft version, would I be able to count it as an LMG for all rule purposes? Example: at the Grozny game, only LMG's (like the M60, RPK, M249, etc.) could use high-capacity box/drum magazines, but everything else could only use mid-caps.

Depends on the event host group. I for one would allow a home brew SAW if it is modeled almost exactly. However, for the it is worth noting that many event hosts wont let you use a winding magazine that is not a box magazine and the IAR uses standard 30 rounders...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2008 ... rifle-iar/
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby Cheese on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:36 pm

Now there's something I overlooked :? . The end airsoft gun meaning to be a lighter alternative to the heavier weapons, people were lugging around the hills all day. So I figured that since it could use M4 mags, why not a drum mag?
Cheese
Private

Postby KileyHAZ on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:54 pm

Again, its going to come down to who is running the event. I think its safe to say most coordinators who want to limit SAWs and non SAWs and expecting you to make a trade off. They want you to pack that extra weight in exchange for being a force multplier. Also they want to discourage every person on the field from packing a 'SAW' in order to make the real SAWs actual things to be worried about. From my own experience I can tell you that in a mid cap only event a SAW is something that actually strikes fear into people and really shines. It is not at all like when you do a pickup game and everyone is running high caps. When you have 70 rounds to spare before a reload and the guy down field of you can cut you up for 3000+ rounds it makes you think about rushing him or not.

What I can answer is how I would handle it from my point of view. If you showed up with an accurate replica of the IAR, including the heavy barrel, the heat sink and the fore grip and had a drum magazine I'd let it fly, be it a commercial offering or a home brew replica. That being said, if you showed up with a CA SCAR and a drum mag on it, calling it a IAR because it is close I would not let it fly. Basically I'd award you the ability to use it for the effort to make a reasonable facsimile.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby Crono0001 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:59 pm

This was evident at Grozny. Lugging up my M60 up and down the hills was something like death.... but it was worth it when I could continue suppressing fire while my squadmates found a clear shot. Having that box magazine was really nice when fighting guys who were scared to let loose random shots worrying that they might run dry.
JAG-X
TAC Forum Troll
Crono0001
Master Sergeant

Postby Gills on Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:15 pm

I've seen two different types of IARs. one with the big unusual heatsink front end that is like the one in Kileys post, and the other one is basically any 9 or 10 inch free float ris.
For example, take a look at this link:
http://www.airsoftpacific.com/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Here is another IAR:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/ ... 6/LWRC.jpg

To achieve that IAR format, all you would need is a 9-10 inch free float RIS, a real steel IAR sight, and a heavy outer barrel that I've seen on sale. I've even seen some guns that have this RIS, but I have not seen just the ris.
For example, here is a gun with that Ris already on it:
http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info ... s_id=32911

For an IAR, you must have that free float Ris with that half inch space or so where the body meets the rails.

All you would need is a heavy that does not have the indentations or groves like a m4 outer barrel would have.
I've seen IARs with different length barrels. Barrel length is varies. the Madbul dissipator barrels I belive would work.
And the barrels from DMR style guns would also fall under heavy barrel

One more thing. Most IARs usualy dont run with a drum mag. they usualy run with extended magazines.
USMC
"Your Gods and my Gods-do you or I know which are stronger?"
Gills
Sergeant

Postby Cheese on Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Connecting the dots: the weight of the gun is so one team doesn't all have crazy firepower, but the firepower convinces a few to use it. Well, it would be a bit unfair, so I guess it would still make a good personal trophy or beast for pick up games. Thanks for educating me, Kiley; Crono, for the example; and Gills, for that info on the IAR and how to make the airsoft one. :D
This is going to be fun to make, I won't even mind using it like the M4 it knows it is.
Cheese
Private

Postby Gills on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:21 pm

I have absolutly no clue on where to find an IAR sight/ gas block. I have not been able to find one and that might be a problem in building an accurate IAR. and you do need that front sight/gas block for it to be an IAR.
USMC
Gills
Sergeant

Postby Gills on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:13 pm

If you are looking for a light weight lmg, look into the Ares LMG.

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info ... s_id=32334
USMC
Gills
Sergeant

Postby Cheese on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:06 pm

Gills wrote:If you are looking for a light weight lmg, look into the Ares LMG.

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info ... s_id=32334

I saw the IAR on futureweapons so I just thought it would be a cool idea in airsoft, but I think I'll look into the ARES LMG. Still, I think an IAR replica would be cool to make into an airsoft DMR or something, now.
Cheese
Private

Return to Guns and Gear