Full Metal SOCOM 1911

Here's where you can discuss everything you have, or want but haven't got...

Moderator: Moderators

Full Metal SOCOM 1911

Postby AlexDean on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:03 am

I am really interested in this gun:
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=6936

This is the video that got me hooked and reeled me in for dinner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwIz1eRd ... eature=sub

Im getting paid on friday and im really, really considering buying this gun. Has anyone ever previously owned this base gun? I'd like to know if it is as sexy internally as it is on the outside. . . How reliable it is. . . How much effort do you need to put into it to keep it working properly. . . ect. . . Please, any info/advice is greatly appreciated. Im going to be droppin' more cash into it than my M4 costs in total. . .
Here I sit all broken hearted; came to poop and only farted.
AlexDean
Master Sergeant

Re: Full Metal SOCOM 1911

Postby usafabrad on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:05 pm

This is essentially a WE Tech 1911 Tactical thats had some trademarks etc. done to it. I find them to be very reliable guns. There will be a few issues though, eventually. the barrel bushing and recoil spring guide are notorious for bending and breaking eventually. You will probably have to get new ones within a year or two. No biggie, they only cost about 15$ total, and are drop-in parts. Another issue is that they use more gas than the space shuttle. Expect to get maybe a mag and a half (if youre lucky) out of one refill. Also, with all that gas moving, thee mags cool down very quickly, meaning a decrease in pressure during rapid fire shots. Completely emptying a mag , even after a fresh refill, can be a challenge in temps below ~80 degrees. The mags will need a minute or two to warm back up again and you might be able to finish out the mag. The mags also have a bad habit of having the spring that pushes up the little nub to lock the mag to the rear going weak on you, and the gun can stop locking to the rear on an empty shot. Stock barrel and bucking are crap, but it's a pistol anyway, and it doesn't really affect anything besides accuracy, which with the short barrel, cannot really be counted on anyway. Unless you buy one with a threaded outer barrel, buy a suppressor replica and extend the inner barrel, that's not really a concern.

Break down is quick and easy, very similar to real steel.

Besides that they are great. Mine has served me well for over three years. there are plenty of drop-in replacements parts and accessories, many of which real-steel compatible, such as the grips (buy some hogues = FTW), and maybe the barrel bushing itself. (I've been wanting to give it a try to see if a real-steel barrel bushing will fit and work the same. haven't had the chance yet though)
usafabrad
Private

Postby AxisOfOil on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:40 pm

I don't have problems with not being able to empty a full mag, ESPECIALLY in cold weather.
It's closer to the WE MEU than it is the regular 1911, as well. There aren't a lot of differences, but there are a few. For one, the barrel and bucking are better quality than the base 1911's.

My MEU's have been extremely accurate (for a pistol) and reliable... easily matching the range and accuracy of a stock echo 1 aeg.

With an extended tbb which is already installed in that gun should help everything a large amount.

I would recommend it.
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Postby AlexDean on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:00 pm

just received it in the mail. it seems to be shooting very good out of the box. I installed the madbull inner barrel and barrel extension with ease. looks great and feels great too. very solid. we'll see how well it performs out in the field saturday at santa rita!
Here I sit all broken hearted; came to poop and only farted.
AlexDean
Master Sergeant

Return to Guns and Gear