Lipo HEP!!!!! PLEASE

Here's where you can discuss everything you have, or want but haven't got...

Moderator: Moderators

Lipo HEP!!!!! PLEASE

Postby infiniteAnchor on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:24 pm

So i just broke down and bought the socom gear lipo from disruptive. with a balancing charger. i was told i dont need an alarm that all i needed to do was stop when i noticed a decrease in performance. so when i noticed the decrease the while dialing in my scope this morning i took it out immediatley. and that battery wasnt warm or anything. but slightly puffed. Mind you this is a brand new battery :(
Last edited by infiniteAnchor on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G4 a3
HFC 185
AGM mpoo1
infiniteAnchor
Recruit

Re: Lipo Battery HELPP!!!!!!!

Postby infiniteAnchor on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:57 pm

BUMP i really need help
G4 a3
HFC 185
AGM mpoo1
infiniteAnchor
Recruit

Re: Lipo HEP!!!!! PLEASE

Postby AxisOfOil on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:15 pm

refer to my post on AA. Also, the point at which you notice a decrease in rof can be very different for different guns. I notice a decrease when my batteries are at 3.8v/cell or so (nearly 75% charge iirc), while some guns don't make a noticable difference in ROF until about 2.8v/cell (overdischarged)
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Postby SinfulPain on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Alarms/protection circuits are ALWAYS a good idea with any lithium chemistry. Not using one can potentially lead to serious problems.

I would suggest reading up on puffed Li-Po's.

Here's 2 links to check out:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3456

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434713
Read post #3

I would also suggest taking it up with DP, and try returning, or exchanging it, as they informed you incorrectly.

Also, for future reference, for you, and anyone else wanting to switch over to LiPo's, do research on Lithium Polymer batteries and their advantages/disadvantages, and potential dangers. An informed user is an alive user, and also a user with a home.

~Brian
Don't bother calling "Surrender" on me, unless you are A) Right by me or B) Shooting 450+ with .20's. I WILL shoot you if I see you, otherwise. I am stubborn, and don't like to surrender. Consider yourself warned.
SinfulPain
Sergeant

Postby quadro on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:43 pm

These are links pulled from Arnies Airsoft Forums since most do not have an account there. They will give you more than enough information about li-po batteries and airsoft. I would recommend anyone who wants to run lipo create an account on those forums so they can read the 65 page long thread about airsoft and li-po's.

Link to articles:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Link to Arnies page if you have an account:
http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=150394
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Harold R. McAlindon

quadro
Executive Advisor

Postby SinfulPain on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:56 pm

Whoever wrote that hasn't done all the research they should have done

Let us address some myths regarding lipos:

1. Lipos WILL explode and are very dangerous to use
2. Lipos are too powerful for anything but a heavily upgraded airsoft gun.
3. Lipos require a lot of babying

1. Not a myth. If treated improperly, they will explode. The Lithium Polymer chemistry is a much less stable chemistry than Li-Co, Li-Mn, or even Ni-MH chemistries. Even when treated right, they can burst, due to some flaw in the manufacturing.

3. Compared to Ni-MH, Li-Po does take a lot of babying. Any of the Lithium chemistries require some amount of babying, to keep them healthy, and sustain a longer life.

Yes, lipos CAN (not will) explode if you push them out of spec. The same can be said about NiCad and NiMH batteries too! Granted, the later two don’t often fireball, they can spit out all kinds of nasties that will burn you and possibly catch fire in addition to spewing shrapnel upon failure

The only time Ni-Cd or Ni-MH will cause a fire, is if you have flammables nearby, and if you cause a sparking short, or shorting a wire/electrically conductive object that will heat up beyond the ignition point of a flammable object.

Also, Ni-MH, NOR Ni-Cd explode. They will vent fumes if used/handled improperly, but they will not explode, unless you are using defective cells, or cells without vents (which prevent explosions from happening). Fast charger (more than 1C charge rate, unless the cells say they can take faster than 1C charge), voltage based cutoff, unbalanced cells, are the 3 main reasons Ni-MH's/Ni-CD's will vent (or in defective cells, or cells without vents, explode).

The person has some other misleading/false information that I want to discuss, but I have studying to do, so I'll add on to those afterwards.

~Brian
Don't bother calling "Surrender" on me, unless you are A) Right by me or B) Shooting 450+ with .20's. I WILL shoot you if I see you, otherwise. I am stubborn, and don't like to surrender. Consider yourself warned.
SinfulPain
Sergeant

Postby AxisOfOil on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:18 pm

SinfulPain wrote:Whoever wrote that hasn't done all the research they should have done

Let us address some myths regarding lipos:

1. Lipos WILL explode and are very dangerous to use
2. Lipos are too powerful for anything but a heavily upgraded airsoft gun.
3. Lipos require a lot of babying

1. Not a myth. If treated improperly, they will explode. The Lithium Polymer chemistry is a much less stable chemistry than Li-Co, Li-Mn, or even Ni-MH chemistries. Even when treated right, they can burst, due to some flaw in the manufacturing.

Yes, a myth. Lipos do NOT explode. They will pop, they will expel flames, but they will not explode.
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Postby Exarach on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:24 pm

Definition of EXPLODE

transitive verb
archaic : to drive from the stage by noisy disapproval
: to bring into disrepute or discredit <explode a theory>
: to cause to explode or burst noisily <explode a bomb>
intransitive verb
— ex·plod·er noun
Examples of EXPLODE

One of the shells failed to explode.
These occasional skirmishes may soon explode into all-out war.
The birds suddenly exploded into flight.
The building exploded in flames.
She looked like she was ready to explode with anger.
Origin of EXPLODE

Latin explodere to drive off the stage by clapping, from ex- + plaudere to clap
First Known Use: 1605
Related to EXPLODE

Synonyms: blow, blow up, burst, crump, detonate, go off, pop
Antonyms: implode
[+]more
"Friendly fire isn't"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?
IconarmsDealer wrote:We are just figureheads.

IconarmsDealer wrote:Fuck you you fat mother fucker
Exarach
Master Sergeant

Postby SinfulPain on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:20 pm

# cause to burst with a violent release of energy; "We exploded the nuclear bomb"
# burst outward, usually with noise; "The champagne bottle exploded"
# detonate: burst and release energy as through a violent chemical or physical reaction;"the bomb detonated at noon"; "The Molotov cocktail exploded"

According to those 3 definitions, I would say Li-Po's explode. Maybe not in the typical way people think of things exploding, but it still explodes.

I would say the Molotov example is a fairly good comparison to a Li-Po, since Molotov's don't technically explode, since the "explosion" is the shattering of the device suddenly exposing the flammable liquids inside, to the flame on the wick.

~Brian
SinfulPain
Sergeant

Postby ultimentra on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:48 am

As long as you don't go full on with the trigger all the time, keep it charged up, and keep it in a room temperature environment (don't leave it out in the sun) you should be fine. I have just recently started using Lipos, and I am stingy with my ammo anyhow, as I have only completely discharged a battery once (and that was when I first started playing). I am sure an alarm would help, but its not completely necessary to the point where if you don't get one your lipo will kill you.
ultimentra
TAC XO

Next

Return to Guns and Gear