scope question

Here's where you can discuss everything you have, or want but haven't got...

Moderator: Moderators

scope question

Postby jaydee0122 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:35 am

i have a g&g m4 that i recently dumped a ton of money into internally and externally to make it a dmr/sniper rifle. i am in search of a scope right now. some of my buddies said i should get something with illuminated reticle, and mildot. now i feel since we dont play at night alot do i really need illumination? also, its an airsoft bb...not a live round going hundreds and hundreds of yards,...is mildot neccesary?

i was going to get a basic 1.75-4 or 3-9 scope put on it. but then i began thinking.

what if i did a scope that is 2-7 that has rails on it, then add a eotech or red dot to the top of that for cqb

or do i just go with a red dot, or acog style that has a fixed magnification of 4x???

any info is helpful
jaydee0122
Recruit

Re: scope question

Postby quadro on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:11 am

In airsoft magnification is only good for identifying targets at further ranges. Your best option is a magnified acog or an aimpoint with a magnifier. I have seen an aimpoint on an upgraded sniper perform better than with a an actual scope.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Harold R. McAlindon

quadro
Executive Advisor

Postby SinfulPain on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Mildot is better for a sniper rifle, so you can get an estimate on how far away the person is, and if they're within your range (this only really applies to people who are hardcore snipers, though).

For an M4, an ACOG would be good for you, if the gun has good range, like my PDW (gets about 200' range, and it's hard to see where a 6mm BB is at that range). If you get normal AEG range, you'll be fine with a regular holosight (as long as it has a visible reticle. Many are a PITA to see in the Tucson summer sun, which is why I personally suggest an ACOG).

~Brian
Don't bother calling "Surrender" on me, unless you are A) Right by me or B) Shooting 450+ with .20's. I WILL shoot you if I see you, otherwise. I am stubborn, and don't like to surrender. Consider yourself warned.
SinfulPain
Sergeant

Postby ultimentra on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:15 pm

I have a 4x ACOG I use on my HK416, its a very nice luxury to have, and it comes in handy when identifying targets at range. Sometimes can help prevent friendly fire.
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby AxisOfOil on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:11 pm

Magnification is only for target ID and spotting.

As far as actually aiming, an eotech or aimpoint + magnifier is going to be much better. Even with the larger dots (up to about 5 or 6 moa), an airsoft gun is likely NEVER going to be more accurate than the sight.

Mildot is nearly useless for airsoft, and illuminated reticles are pretty useless on airsoft-quality glass.
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Postby IconarmsDealer on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:21 am

Heck..if you dont mind the extra weight get what floats your boat.Everyones reply is correct. Something small, with 4 power is all you need in this sport.
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Return to Guns and Gear