Home Made Rocket Launcher

Here's where you can discuss everything you have, or want but haven't got...

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Rocket Launchers

Postby quadro on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:57 pm

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-cpvc-pipes-pressures-d_796.html

Here are the pressure ratings for schedule 40 and schedule 80 pvc pipe. These will drop as the pvc ages and deteriorates from use under higher pressures.

I think it would be a good idea to have a detailed parts list required when submitted to TAC for safety approval. This will help with deeming the launcher safe by checking the parts and making sure they can not fail due to pressures.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Harold R. McAlindon

quadro
Executive Advisor

Re: Home Made Rocket Launcher

Postby THKInternational on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:22 pm

If your tank is made out of PVC it will fail faster that is why mine will have a steel galv tank.
dhammapada wrote: If you see an intelligent man who tells you where true treasures are to be found, who shows what is to be avoided, and administers reproofs, follow that wise man; it will be better, not worse, for those who follow him.
THKInternational
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Grenades and airsoft A few thoughts to consider!

Postby KileyHAZ on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:55 am

TJC10 wrote:
IconarmsDealer wrote:...... Compressed air at say 150 PSI will drive a PVC shrapnel right through your skull.. or worse someone elses skull.

And, I think 150 psi is the legal national limit is it not?

I'm not sure they have a psi bar, I think they do what we do and use common sense risk assessment and muzzle velocity as their measurements. (In conjunction with how it looks in regards to simulating a real life weapon).

I do know that PVC has a low psi limit when compared to any of the metals like aluminum or steel pipe. It will crack and fragment under pressure and if its under pressure from liquid C02 it will shatter like a mirror. It's issue like this that make them adult only and by approval only with TAC events.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby IconarmsDealer on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:23 am

Well While Jeeping ;) on topic.

Theres a bit more to building out of pvc than gluing it together. Priming the surface and allowing the items to cure is very important.

Perhaps TAC could find one or two approved sets of RPG plans and have them posted. If someone wants to build one they could use these, and once the item was inspected and tested By TAC it would be usable.

As cool as the commercial RPG /AT4/Laws replicas look..they are no more than a fancy M203 only three times the price.
The key in MY OPNION! would be to use the Rocket as the air source. So a Realistic rocket would travel down range.

Foam Rpg Rocket that can be filled witha Bike pump, some type or valve to release the air, or with a replaceable Co2 cartridge placed in the rocket. Pull the trigger a hole is punctured and the escaping gas pushes the Rocket out of the tube and down range Like a ballon does when you let go of it........Or something like that! It would need fins that Pop out to keep it on target!
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby Mclovin on Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:51 pm

IconarmsDealer wrote:Well While Jeeping ;) on topic.

Theres a bit more to building out of pvc than gluing it together. Priming the surface and allowing the items to cure is very important.

Perhaps TAC could find one or two approved sets of RPG plans and have them posted. If someone wants to build one they could use these, and once the item was inspected and tested By TAC it would be usable.

As cool as the commercial RPG /AT4/Laws replicas look..they are no more than a fancy M203 only three times the price.
The key in MY OPNION! would be to use the Rocket as the air source. So a Realistic rocket would travel down range.

Foam Rpg Rocket that can be filled witha Bike pump, some type or valve to release the air, or with a replaceable Co2 cartridge placed in the rocket. Pull the trigger a hole is punctured and the escaping gas pushes the Rocket out of the tube and down range Like a ballon does when you let go of it........Or something like that! It would need fins that Pop out to keep it on target!

so you pretty much need a propellant from co2 and self propping fins to make a real rocket out of fake materials, but, when it hits you at full velocity it wont bust in your rib cage. The only problem i see in it would not so much be the launching or the fins but using co2 as a propellant because you have to use a light metal but enough to use the full force of the co2 without shattering the rocket and the launcher. You wouldn't use a normal poke a hole in the co2 and let it leak it would have to be more of a stabbing a hole then let it shoot off the pin and keep going all while having that co2 funneled. I am not saying it is impossible but will be difficult to do.
Mclovin
Sergeant

Postby THKInternational on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:58 pm

but the top of a CO2 cartliage is fragile the hammer og a revolver can puncture it easly
dhammapada wrote: If you see an intelligent man who tells you where true treasures are to be found, who shows what is to be avoided, and administers reproofs, follow that wise man; it will be better, not worse, for those who follow him.
THKInternational
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Exarach on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:15 pm

IconarmsDealer wrote:Well While Jeeping ;) on topic.

Ya, but not everyone is willing to throw away $1.50 for every shot :lol:

I like my reusable rockets much better, all I have to replace is the popper, and those are $.50 for 100
"Friendly fire isn't"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?
IconarmsDealer wrote:We are just figureheads.

IconarmsDealer wrote:Fuck you you fat mother fucker
Exarach
Master Sergeant

Postby THKInternational on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:02 pm

the one i made shot the madbull dummy grenades
THKInternational
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Exarach on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:38 pm

THKInternational wrote:the one i made shot the madbull dummy grenades

And shrapnel.....

I was just giving him shit because he was ripping into my argument about not everyone being willing to pay a dollar or so for a one time usable grenade, and then turning around and suggesting a rocket powered by a full c02 cartridge a shot :lol:
"Friendly fire isn't"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?
IconarmsDealer wrote:We are just figureheads.

IconarmsDealer wrote:Fuck you you fat mother fucker
Exarach
Master Sergeant

Postby THKInternational on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:15 pm

hey a broken clock is right twice a day
THKInternational
2nd Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Guns and Gear