help buying my first gun

Here's where you can discuss everything you have, or want but haven't got...

Moderator: Moderators

help buying my first gun

Postby izon86 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi guys, newbie here :lol: I've been searching online for a descent beginners gun (not amazon) I came across CYMA CM028U and i like it a lot, also the CYMA CM028C seems to be pretty descent both are ak's (i love ak's). both have metal gearbox series 3 (which idk what that suppose to mean)

my budget is very limited because of rent :evil: but I'm willing to hear suggestions about other guns/brands

thanks a lot guys
"May the BB's be with you"
izon86
Recruit

Re: help buying my first gun

Postby MusicMan on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:47 pm

The Cm028 are good guns, but I would recommend, if you can, going 032+ as they have metal bodies (and depending of the model real wood). The plastic body is not bad, but you would probably like the metal much more.

The unfortunate part is they do not make a cheap 032+ version of the two you are looking at, they would be the 039u or c which are around $180.
Echo1 AKM 47 // Cyma RPK 74 // Cyma Glock 18c // KWA Glock 19
MusicMan
Sergeant

Postby KileyHAZ on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:38 pm

Have you considered the Dboys rk series of AK's? The newer runs have decent metal bodies and out of the box they get the job done, although the CYMAs do put out more fps in most cases.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby izon86 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:16 pm

Thank you guys, talking to a pro he told me that cyma metal gearbox is made of cheap zinc metal, I called several online stores and they didn't knew anything about the metal used inside their guns, so I'm like really? -_-

True musicman full metal bodies are awesome but budget is a factor, I'll check out those u recommended me

Kileyhaz I check reviews and didn't get convinced about them recently I checked the SRC BRAND m4's they have good reviews what you guys think?

The one I saw was SRC strike series
izon86
Recruit

Postby MusicMan on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:13 pm

I haven't found ANYWHERE where it says the gearbox is zinc, and unless your doing something stupid to your gearbox they shouldn't fail you. I have seen a m190 spring in a cyma ak work fine, gearbox showed no wear.

I would stay clear of SRC, I have heard only bad things about them.

Brands i would recommend Cyma/Echo1 AK's, G&G m4's, G&P, Tokyo Marui.
Brands i would stay clear of KWA(Minus GBBs), DE(Minus trishots), SRC, BE, JG.
Echo1 AKM 47 // Cyma RPK 74 // Cyma Glock 18c // KWA Glock 19
MusicMan
Sergeant

Postby izon86 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:36 pm

MusicMan wrote:I haven't found ANYWHERE where it says the gearbox is zinc, and unless your doing something stupid to your gearbox they shouldn't fail you. I have seen a m190 spring in a cyma ak work fine, gearbox showed no wear.

I would stay clear of SRC, I have heard only bad things about them.

Brands i would recommend Cyma/Echo1 AK's, G&G m4's, G&P, Tokyo Marui.
Brands i would stay clear of KWA(Minus GBBs), DE(Minus trishots), SRC, BE, JG.

maybe the guy at the pro shop wanted to lure me to buy one of his guns lol!
i think ill go for a G&G cuz most ppl say theyre good.
izon86
Recruit

Postby ultimentra on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:20 pm

G&G Combat Machines are great guns for the price if your looking for an M4.
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby The Honey Badger on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:18 am

The guys that have put in here have as many or more years than I do, but I will impart what I have learned to you.

If its plastic, it will break.
If its metal, it will break.
If it says Airsoft, 6mm, China, or Japan on it, it will break.

What you are really buying are the externals. Meaning the body style and construction materials of the external portion of the gun. The internals are inexpensive to replace when worn or broken and upgrades are fairly easy to install with some practice. If you screw it up there are people here that can help you or you can ask at DP.

There is no "norm" when it comes quality. Some (not all) of your mid level guns ($250-$450) have wonderful externals and are well put together internally. But, if you are on a short budget the bang for the buck will be the metal AK47/74.

Evike has the Dboys RK05 listed at $130. After 20% coupon and 3 day UPS shipping its $119.88. Kiley and I both have one (same model, RK05), as do others here have a Dboys (Kiley also has an RK01 and an RK02. Ulti has an RK10. Jed has an RK10 and an RK06 just to mention a few). They are a solid, well put together, workhorse.

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=30093

Note: the plastic CYMA CM028S at $117.95 is $112.52 shipped from Evike. Metal Dboys over a plastic CYMA for 6 and a half bucks more.
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Postby Hawk Eye on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:04 am

I'd look for highly adaptable and universal. Make sure you don't have to look for specifically the right parts/ additions, eg clips, rails etc this is what will end up being the downside. As long as you don't buy cheap and learn to maintain your weapon you won't have a problem.
Love Honor, Respect Loyalty
Hawk Eye
Recruit

Return to Guns and Gear