Barrel length in relation to accuracy

Pimp my Gun

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Barrel length in relation to accuracy

Postby ben on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:36 pm

Gills wrote:BB guns air more accurate than airsoft because they do fly at a higher rate and wont drop as much due to time.

I did a test on this myself to see what gun is more accurate, even at close range. I used a crosman pumpmaster 760 bb gun shooting 625fps w/.30g 4.5mm(.177cal.)bb note: no hop up link; http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pneumatic/760B VS. a TM VSR 10 shooting 452fps w/.30g 6mm bb
note: hop up. Now not only did the VSR shoot more accurate than the pumpmaster at close range, it shot further accurately too. This shows good hop up > high fps. Even though the pumpmaster shoots 173 fps more with the same weight bb, the VSR came out on top.
ben
TAC Vice President

Postby Gills on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:21 pm

wow. intresting ben. i did not think that. the Co2 guns that the rotc uses are soposed to fly at 1500 fps. they are used for markmenship competitions.
USMC
"Your Gods and my Gods-do you or I know which are stronger?"
Gills
Sergeant

Postby ben on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:31 pm

Gills your getting off topic, this thread is for accuracy, not bb guns! My post was just showing how fps isn’t everything!!!
ben
TAC Vice President

Postby sky soldier on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:17 pm

I have a G36 shorty and a Regular size one. They are both the same except for barrel length. The Longer one shootes farther and straighter. I know that isn't much help. But there is definitely a difference. On the other end of the scale my MP7 shoots all over the place in full auto. It's a little more accurate in Semi. I'd bet the other guys are right about the internal stuff.

My 2 cents.

S.S.
sky soldier
Private 1st Class

Postby AxisOfOil on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:36 pm

a quality barrel is better than a longer barrel.
hopup has a larger effect on accuracy than the barrel.
Once the BB has enough time to stabilize (takes longer the higher the fps), longer barrels will only increase the weight of your gun and the likelihood that a piece of dirt in your barrel will cause the bb to stray off target.

The barrel only has to be long enough to allow the pressure on the rear surface of the bb to equalize and become steady. If it's longer, it doesn't really do any harm. If the barrel is too short... the air won't equalize in pressure, and will just be like turbulence on an airplane... but all across the bb when it leaves the barrel, creating random shooting patterns.
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Previous

Return to Upgrades and Modifications