Barrel length in relation to accuracy

Pimp my Gun

Moderator: Moderators

Barrel length in relation to accuracy

Postby DonkeyKong on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:11 am

Hey I had a question about barrel length in relation to accuracy: Does a longer barrel provide greater accuracy/range in an airsoft gun (Note ,airsoft was bolded because this is not real steal nor should real steal physics be brought into this topic unless I'm proven otherwise) :mrgreen:

I read this post and felt a little puzzled -- http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Barre ... 52887.html

Now even though his post didn't really have much scientific backing he made a few good points.

Okay now to my noobish number crunching. My idea is that the only plus to having a longer barrel is that the bb is not effected by the elements of nature i.e. wind, humidity, temperature, etc for the split second longer that it stays in a longer barrel rather then a shorter one.
So lets say a BB is shot at 400 FPS and assume that it reaches that velocity by the time it takes to get to the end of a 12 in. barrel.
Now lets say that same gun shoots the same BB at 400 FPS through a 16 in. barrel still reaching 400 FPS at 12 in. through the barrel.
So my theory is that it will travel straight for - the seconds (or fraction of a second)it takes to go through those extra 4 inches TIMES the 400 fps it is shooting at - longer(then with the 12 in. barrel) without veering off course due to mother nature.
So 400feet per second x12inches per foot = 4800 inches per second--- at that velocity it would take 1/1200 of a second to go through the extra 4 inches. Now if it travels 1/1200 of a second longer without being effected by wind it will have traveled (400 divided by 1200) -- 1/3 of a foot longer without veering off due to mother nature.

I don't really know if this makes any sense to you guys but it makes perfect sense in my head :D
--I know there's alot more to factor in like wind speed mainly but I'm too lazy and I'm just trying to put down atleast some of my ideas :P

Therefore, my conclusion is that barrel length does effect accuracy, however not enough to care.

What are your guys' thoughts or opinions on this?
DonkeyKong
Recruit

Re: Barrel length in relation to accuracy

Postby yellow_fever on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:55 am

Well, I guess in an extreme case, barrel length affects accuracy and range. Like the difference between an M16 and a Glock (yes, I know some people own/upgraded pistols that could shoot the wings off a fly, but I'm talking normal stock guns). There a such thing as optimal barrel length, at least with real steel, the point at which the bullet travels the farthest when fired, sort of a "Goldilocks" deal.

Really though, it's just the width of the barrel. In an otherwise identical gun, one with a 6.03mm barrel will be more accurate than one with a 6.05-08mm barrel. The BBs bounce inside the barrel when they're fired, so if you give it less room to move, it bounces less, and flys straighter. That's conventional knowledge, though, and conveniently about the extent of my knowledge.
When in doubt, call it out.
Savage wrote:Good to know snow camo isn't desert issue anymore.
yellow_fever
Sergeant

Postby azsworst on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:35 am

ANYTHING past m4 length won't do jack (w/o bore up kit). I won the TAC sharpshooters comp yesterday and I have an AK (going up against m14, m15a4, l85).

Accuracy in airsoft is all about the hop up. Get a good rubber and a good nub before a new barrel.
TAC 2009 Shooters Competition: I came, I saw.....I conqured
I am like the old puma, I will sit and wait a long ass time for you to RUN by then jump you from behind and bam your my diner.........
azsworst
Executive Advisor

Postby clayton on Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:15 pm

congratz to that yesterday, im suprised my para m249 actually got me to final 3. but my gun is incredibly inaccurate.
clayton
1st Lieutenant

Postby firebert on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:45 am

azsworst wrote:ANYTHING past m4 length won't do jack (w/o bore up kit). I won the TAC sharpshooters comp yesterday and I have an AK (going up against m14, m15a4, l85).

Accuracy in airsoft is all about the hop up. Get a good rubber and a good nub before a new barrel.

I have never been a real fan of the AK in RL or airsoft but I do respect it. I cant say I understand why but the AK has a damn good hopup. My little AK Beta is one of the most accurate guns I have and is one of the shortest barrels. I just wish I liked it more.
firebert
Private

Postby KileyHAZ on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:17 am

azsworst wrote:ANYTHING past m4 length won't do jack (w/o bore up kit). I won the TAC sharpshooters comp yesterday and I have an AK (going up against m14, m15a4, l85).

I endorse this post :D
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby Farslayer on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:26 pm

Embarassing.... :oops:
Farslayer
Private 1st Class

Postby Savage on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:48 pm

I'll endorse this too. Even though that math is over my head, I see a proper backspin and compression to be much, much better.
PRAISE TO THE HOLY PROPHET CLANCY
Facial rugs may increase combat effectiveness?
Savage
Master Sergeant

Postby Gills on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:31 am

an upgraded barrel will give you more accuracy and length. but accuracy is also dependant on the speed and the air compression. a good airseal will give the BB more thrust giving it more distance giving it a more chance to hit your target.

BB guns air more accurate than airsoft because they do fly at a higher rate and wont drop as much due to time.
USMC
"Your Gods and my Gods-do you or I know which are stronger?"
Gills
Sergeant

Postby azsworst on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:10 am

Upgraded barrels will not make that much of a difference. Accuracy is not dependant on speed or compression, only distance is. They're are people who are 'anti' tightbore that get badass kills on people.....I know because I've been killed by them.

I'll say it once, and hell.....I'll say it again. HOP UP is the key to accuracy. If you don't beleive me just play a whole day without using your hop up.
TAC 2009 Shooters Competition: I came, I saw.....I conqured
I am like the old puma, I will sit and wait a long ass time for you to RUN by then jump you from behind and bam your my diner.........
azsworst
Executive Advisor

Next

Return to Upgrades and Modifications