Li-Po conversions

Pimp my Gun

Moderator: Moderators

Li-Po conversions

Postby IconarmsDealer on Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:12 pm

What all has to be upgraded when going over to Li-po batteries--as far as the electronics go...Heavier wire?

I understand that it a good idea to beef up your gear sets and so on
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Re: Li-Po conversions

Postby david23717 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:22 pm

mofset, deans plugs(i think), better motor.
david23717
Private 1st Class

Postby clayton on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:48 pm

you dont need dean plugs
clayton
1st Lieutenant

Postby Seedy on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:17 pm

yeah but they help.
they're a lot better than those white Tamiya plugs.
Seedy
Executive Advisor

Postby blitz on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:38 pm

typically, its a case by case basis. but assuming your workin on the run of the mill gun, lets take a TM for example, you will need to;
- re shim (needs to be perfect!)
- new piston (needs to be durable and light)
- new fuse with a higher rating
- bushings (barrings are nice but they fail with higher springs 110 or higher)

now if you want the best, and bulletproof it;
- gears ( i liked the pheonix gears, they are self shimming, too high of a speed and your mag WILL not keep up)
- heavier gauge wireing
- a good motor (EG1000 = or better)
- mosfet (a nice mod that is a good practice of preventative maintenance)
- CLEAN trigger contacts
- denns plugs (tamiya's can melt, denns will actualy improve ROF and are safer, remember lipo's have a tendency to exp load)
blitz
Private

Postby firebert on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:23 pm

Easy answer. - Just plug one in.

What kind of benefit are you looking for? 1. Lighter, smaller batteries, and longer life or 2. simply a higher rate of fire. If you want option 1 go with 7.4 lipo batteries and you really shouldn't need to do anything to your gun. If you want option 2 then sure, like any upgrade you need to make sure you are ready for weak parts to be replaced.

Harder Answer. - It really depends on what your looking to do. I have switched just about all of my guns to Lipo at this point. I have two different setups for my guns that I used depending on that I am looking for. I have a 7.4 setup if I want a normal rate of fire and an 11.1 setup for a higher rate of fire.

It really depends on the kind of performance you expect from your equipment. I consider most of what blitz stated to be a given that ANY airsoft gun needs anyway. Having said that, I have purchased several used guns and run them on Lipo's with out any modifications just to see how long they would last and they ran just fine for months with out any cleaning or upgrades. The only thing that ever actually failed was the piston finally gave out. This was also on a 11.1 lipo. I have yet to have a gun running on 7.4 to fail.
firebert
Private

Postby blitz on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:46 pm

i go for OVERKILL in my guns, only the highest quality and the best durability. those suggestions are baised for a 11.1 assuming the user wants the highest possible ROF and the best durability
blitz
Private

Postby IconarmsDealer on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:33 am

blitz wrote:i go for OVERKILL in my guns, only the highest quality and the best durability. those suggestions are baised for a 11.1 assuming the user wants the highest possible ROF and the best durability

I also lean towards Overkill.
What Im really wanting; Bit more battery. I was looking to go to a better battery in a few of my guns, and the ones I wanted were all demenionaly to large. So My guess was go Li-po!

Yes I wouldnt mind a bit higher ROF especialy in my M249.
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby blitz on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:36 pm

for all the guns running on an 3 cell(11.1) id go with all those upgrades, with the 2 cell (7.4) you dont need any upgrades, nice thing about the lipos are that if you have a really good charger, you can actualy repair the battery and fix dead cells
blitz
Private

Return to Upgrades and Modifications