Rifled Tight Bore barel?

Pimp my Gun

Moderator: Moderators

Rifled Tight Bore barel?

Postby Gills on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:11 am

I was watching the History channel last night about a program about Muskets. The Program talked about how ball and power early 1800 muskets went from smoothbore barrels to a threaded rifled barrel. Increasing the accurate distance from 50yards to 150+yards

That got me thinking, Why arn't airsoft tight bore barrels Rifled? Wouldnt a threaded 6.01/6.03 give the bb a "forward" spin, along with a backspin from the hop up, making it Much more accurate/ more distance?

Dont Flame me out If im wrong about it, this is just an idea.
But the Ball and powder muskets was essintialy a metal fat BB powered by kenetic energy from the black powder.
A airsoft gun is a BB powerd from the kenetic energy of compressed air. both seem essintialy the same.

Your thoughts~
USMC
"Your Gods and my Gods-do you or I know which are stronger?"
Gills
Sergeant

Re: Rifled Tight Bore barel?

Postby KileyHAZ on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:49 am

Nope, the back spin from the hop up would create a cork screw effect. That is ignoring the fact that the bbs are hard and do not 'grip' the rifling (rifling bites into lead bullets) of course.

I know one company does do a rifled barrel, don't recall the name of it now, but its only like a 1/4 twist or something. Anecdotal evidence shows that its a slight improvement at low fps with heavy bbs but at higher fps it is erratic.

Its a valid idea for sure just would need to rethink the use of hop up and a way to get the bb to grip the rifling.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Re: Rifled Tight Bore barel?

Postby azsworst on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:21 pm

Been thought up a long time ago= TK twist barrels=only good up to a certain fps (less than 350 I beleive).
TAC 2009 Shooters Competition: I came, I saw.....I conqured
I am like the old puma, I will sit and wait a long ass time for you to RUN by then jump you from behind and bam your my diner.........
azsworst
Executive Advisor

Return to Upgrades and Modifications