highspeed set up

Pimp my Gun

Moderator: Moderators

highspeed set up

Postby NHtucsonaz on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:41 am

im thinking of fixing up my ICS MP5 with a high speed set up, i only have put in so far is a G&P M120 Ultra High Speed Motor and already it has a high rof but i wanted to add new gears and new piston/head, what brand and what parts do you guys recomend i put into it? right now im shooting with a 8.4 but plan on putting a 9.6 or do you guys think lipoli would be better and how hould i go about getting the GB ready for that?
NHtucsonaz
Sergeant

Re: highspeed set up

Postby AxisOfOil on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:53 pm

What spring are you running?
What size of 8.4/9.6 are you using? Large or mini or what?

How high of a rof are you actually wanting? A number will help people get you to where you want to be.
What's your rof at now?
Do you want a certain fps also (changes the options of short-stroking, spring choice, etc)

Lipo's are generally better for all setups, and if you're upgrading everything else it shouldn't hurt the gun much... especially over say a large type 9.6 with high mAh which would turn your motor at full speed regardless. If that's the case, then the lipo will only get your first shot off faster.

I don't know enough about high-speed setups to recommend specific pistons/heads etc past saying don't get an aluminum piston or pistonhead... go for lightweight. I think the systema ENERGY line is exactly what you're looking for though. I haven't seen anyone test that stuff yet though.
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Postby NHtucsonaz on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:00 pm

the gear box is stock ICS nothing but the motor has been upgraded, and right now im using large 8.4v, i just want it to rip a little faster im not sure the ROF that it has right now but ill look into it and let yo know and as for fps i kinda want to keep it around 330
NHtucsonaz
Sergeant

Postby AxisOfOil on Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:27 pm

NHtucsonaz wrote:the gear box is stock ICS nothing but the motor has been upgraded, and right now im using large 8.4v, i just want it to rip a little faster im not sure the ROF that it has right now but ill look into it and let yo know and as for fps i kinda want to keep it around 330

Well, I'd start off with a battery upgrade. A 9.6 makes a noticable difference, and a 7.4lipo would also give you a good boost. If you put a 11.1 lipo in it right now, you'll strip the piston or break a gear within a couple games max.

Also, have you tried dean's connectors yet? Those upgrade your rate of fire pretty significantly, as does a low-resistance wireset. They're cheaper than gears, and you'll need them in the long run anyways. :ugeek:
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Postby NHtucsonaz on Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:50 pm

AxisOfOil wrote: If you put a 11.1 lipo in it right now, you'll strip the piston or break a gear within a couple games max.

Also, have you tried dean's connectors yet? Those upgrade your rate of fire pretty significantly, as does a low-resistance wireset. They're cheaper than gears, and you'll need them in the long run anyways. :ugeek:

yea i wanted to eventually put a 11.1 and thats why i wanted new internals. as for deans connectors not sure what they are.. and yea im planning on new wires
i wanted new battery (lipo)
piston
ported piston head
low resistance wires
high speed gears
but i wasnt sure what else id need or what brand would be best. but what are deans connectors?
NHtucsonaz
Sergeant

Postby airsoftguy on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:31 pm

NHtucsonaz wrote:
AxisOfOil wrote: If you put a 11.1 lipo in it right now, you'll strip the piston or break a gear within a couple games max.

yea i wanted to eventually put a 11.1 and thats why i wanted new internals. as for deans connectors not sure what they are.. and yea im planning on new wires
i wanted new battery (lipo)
piston
ported piston head
low resistance wires
high speed gears
but i wasnt sure what else id need or what brand would be best. but what are deans connectors?

Deans connectors are gold plated connectors one flat and one horizontal and are easier than timaya connectors. I also have version 2 high speed gears if you want them?
Free body piercing, anywhere any size, if you stand in front of my iron sights.
airsoftguy
Sergeant

Postby AxisOfOil on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:13 pm

airsoftguy wrote:
Deans connectors are gold plated connectors one flat and one horizontal and are easier than timaya connectors. I also have version 2 high speed gears if you want them?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/deans_ultra_ ... 2_prd1.htm
they're also called t-plugs. The point isn't that they're easier, it's that they're better. Lower resistance, higher current throughput before they short out or melt, etc. THEN after those benefits they're easier.

If you're building a gun around getting a lipo... you definitely will need higher strength gears. You will probably want to actually avoid high-speed gearsets, as they aren't as strong, and they'll tend to cycle faster with a lipo than your piston will. A standard-ratio is a good in-between. I like guarder gearsets, although i hear good things about systemas.

You definitely will want a lightweight piston with 1 or 2 steel teeth up front, and I would recommend a duracon piston head. They're super light and very strong. For longevity sake, a new reinforced gearbox is probably a great idea. What piston? I have no idea. Sorry, I do high-fps setups usually... the stresses are different for the piston on high speed vs. high fps on the piston. Technically a higher rate spring increases your maximum rof... realistically there's a happy medium. You can only cycle the gun as fast as your spring can push the piston forward during each cycle.

Oh, and... bearings everywhere. Bearing piston head, bearing spring guide, bearings instead of bushings.
I like king arms wiresets, IDK if they make one for your gun though.

That's my knowledgebase in it's entirety for high rof.
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Postby KileyHAZ on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:03 am

Axis knows his material, I agree with all the above. Bio has a high speed MP5SD, I'm sure he would be willing to share some insights if you catch him at a game. Only additional thing I want to stress/contribute is that there is a threshold for high speed that is dictated by your magazine. At some point you can cycle the airnozzle too fast for a magazine to keep up with at which time you start misfiring. The sweet spots is a few RPS before that happens or else you will get wild shots and misfeeds.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby AxisOfOil on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:34 pm

KileyHAZ wrote:Axis knows his material, I agree with all the above. Bio has a high speed MP5SD, I'm sure he would be willing to share some insights if you catch him at a game. Only additional thing I want to stress/contribute is that there is a threshold for high speed that is dictated by your magazine. At some point you can cycle the airnozzle too fast for a magazine to keep up with at which time you start misfiring. The sweet spots is a few RPS before that happens or else you will get wild shots and misfeeds.

So... that's not just a myth? lol. That's impressive. One more reason to maybe not want a high speed gearset AND lipo?
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Postby NHtucsonaz on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 am

thanks ALOT for all the input, maybe as for lipo ima probably just get a 9.6 with high mah and do up the rest, but there is more i gotto look into but thanks and im sure ima be back on here to ask more questions when the project starts
NHtucsonaz
Sergeant

Next

Return to Upgrades and Modifications