Looking to up my JG M4's FPS & accuracy

Pimp my Gun

Moderator: Moderators

Looking to up my JG M4's FPS & accuracy

Postby SinfulPain on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:06 pm

Currently, my JG M4 is shooting about 360 FPS, with 0.20's, and I'd like to bring it to 400-420, but I don't know what tightbore to get first.

Here's the tightbores I'm looking at:

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info ... s_id=32711
http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info ... s_id=27172
http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info ... s_id=32808
http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info ... s_id=24368
http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info ... s_id=32666

I'm considering getting the Matrix barrel, since they seem to have some good reviews about their other parts, as well as the barrels. For future upgrades, I'd also like to stick to Matrix parts (I like to keep everything the same brand, so compatibility is a minimal/non-existent issue).

Which one would you guys recommend the most? I'm looking for tight groupings over longer range, without having to lengthen the barrel yet, along with and FPS boost.

~Brian
Don't bother calling "Surrender" on me, unless you are A) Right by me or B) Shooting 450+ with .20's. I WILL shoot you if I see you, otherwise. I am stubborn, and don't like to surrender. Consider yourself warned.
SinfulPain
Sergeant

Re: Looking to up my JG M4's FPS & accuracy

Postby Crono0001 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:08 pm

6.01s will jam unless you clean them ridiculously.

But then again, 6.03 doesn't provide much more accuracy over your stock one.

It's a balance between how lazy you are and how straight you want to shoot. That aside, my Matrix 455 6.03 was great. It's cheap and does the job, and I would definitely recommend it.
JAG-X
TAC Forum Troll
Crono0001
Master Sergeant

Postby AxisOfOil on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:44 pm

I have to completely disagree with Crono.
A quality 6.01 will NOT jam assuming you swab it if you dump dirt down the barrel and don't use poor quality bb's.
I have heard decent reviews of the madbull 6.01's... but have no firsthand experience. I clean the living *%* out of my barrels, all the time... to the point where I might be considered somewhat OCD, or just plain psychotic... but that doesn't mean you have to.

A quality 6.03 will give you immensely better performance than a stock barrel, especially a stock JG barrel (worst stock barrels I have personally come across)... and the high end 6.03's like Prometheus barrels will come close to and quite often exceed the performance of some of the newer "budget" 6.01's such as the jbu or matrix.

I have used both DBC and AirsoftGI Brand 6.01's, as well as madbull and prometheus 6.03's... and CA 6.04's... and stock JG, CA, KA, Dboys and others' barrels.

If you're looking for a quality, cheap barrel, the madbull 6.03 pythons are good barrels for great prices.
If you're looking for high quality barrels that are a little easier to maintain (can still shoot terrible bb's without worrying about jams), Prometheus 6.03's are excellent, and are extremely accurate barrels.

For 6.01's... i would recommend EDGI, DBC, or the AirsoftGI Masamune's. I have seen all three perform with excellent results.

However... to increase range and accuracy, start with a new hopup unit, hopup bucking, and hopup nub. I highly recommend a King arms hopup unit, g&g green bucking, and an h nub... I haven't seen anyone who was disappointed by the effects of that combo yet.
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Postby KileyHAZ on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:00 am

I'm going to echo axis above. If you use good BB's a tight bore should give you little issue. If your using luck of the draw on bb brands then go with something that has a bit additional tolerance. Also as he said the hop up and rubber will make a MUCH bigger difference then the barrel. Good luck.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby SinfulPain on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:38 am

KileyHAZ wrote:I'm going to echo axis above. If you use good BB's a tight bore should give you little issue. If your using luck of the draw on bb brands then go with something that has a bit additional tolerance. Also as he said the hop up and rubber will make a MUCH bigger difference then the barrel. Good luck.

I will be using Bio Matrix BB's, and either G&G 5.95's, or Matrix's .23's (plus a pack of .20's for chrono testing).

So this is the hopup stuff to get, before I get the barrel?

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=3715
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=2639
The G&G hopup bucking looks like it already comes with the nub/spacer. Would that one suffice, or would the ICS one be better?

also, do either of you have an estimate of how much of an FPS boost that will gain? I'm pretty sure it won't be the 30 fps that some places state just for the barrels. If thats the case, my gun should easily hit 400-420 just by upgrading the barrel and hopup section.

AxisOfOil wrote:A quality 6.03 will give you immensely better performance than a stock barrel, especially a stock JG barrel (worst stock barrels I have personally come across)... and the high end 6.03's like Prometheus barrels will come close to and quite often exceed the performance of some of the newer "budget" 6.01's such as the jbu or matrix.

I must have gotten a lucky draw, then. I get about 2' groupings at about 100-150 feet with some light wind, using .23's. If my groupings get tighter, I'll be amazed, and happy.

~Brian
Don't bother calling "Surrender" on me, unless you are A) Right by me or B) Shooting 450+ with .20's. I WILL shoot you if I see you, otherwise. I am stubborn, and don't like to surrender. Consider yourself warned.
SinfulPain
Sergeant

Postby AxisOfOil on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:51 pm

That is the hopup stuff I was referring to. You might also add an h-nub or concave nub to those.

I'm happy to hear you got a good barrel, post up a review with some targets showing those groupings!
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Postby SinfulPain on Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:13 pm

This is the concave one you were talking about, right?

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info ... s_id=31599

I'll put off the review until I get all the upgrade parts in, and can also chrono it, so I can show the difference that the upgrades made.

~Brian
SinfulPain
Sergeant

Postby AxisOfOil on Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:38 pm

that is A concave spacer. Yes. It is very similar to what I mentioned.
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Postby SinfulPain on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:30 pm

I just took the upper off of my M4, and it looks like I need a new nozzle, too. The bottom is mashed and worn a bit.

Any reccomendations for the seal? I'd like to keep it to Evike, or Airsoft GI, since I'm ordering from both anyways.

I just wanna know how the hell my gun is remaining accurate with all these problems, WITH a brass barrel with corrosion inside.

I hate being a pain in the arse like this, but I'd rather not deal with somehow buying the wrong piece. I don't have the money to buy more/ship them back.

~Brian
SinfulPain
Sergeant

Postby Crono0001 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:05 pm

SinfulPain wrote:I just took the upper off of my M4, and it looks like I need a new nozzle, too. The bottom is mashed and worn a bit.

Any reccomendations for the seal? I'd like to keep it to Evike, or Airsoft GI, since I'm ordering from both anyways.

I just wanna know how the hell my gun is remaining accurate with all these problems, WITH a brass barrel with corrosion inside.

I hate being a pain in the arse like this, but I'd rather not deal with somehow buying the wrong piece. I don't have the money to buy more/ship them back.

~Brian

Dude, buy my parts, I have almost everything you need.
JAG-X
TAC Forum Troll
Crono0001
Master Sergeant

Next

Return to Upgrades and Modifications