Ares AW338 upgrades?

Pimp my Gun

Moderator: Moderators

Ares AW338 upgrades?

Postby SinfulPain on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:28 am

I just got an Ares AW338 today, with a leaky mag and some other minor defects (stuff I can fix easy).

I'm just curious if anyone has any knowledge about what kind of bucking, hopup chamber, and barrel the Ares uses.

Not to be a dick, but don't bother telling me to use the search function on google, as I am doing that. I am just putting this out there, in case anyone already has knowledge about them, and upgrades for them while I am looking for possible upgrades.

Also, are there any fill valves that are compatible with the magazines? My fill valve is missing 1/2 the threads somehow (probably due to poor machining).

I have been hearing that it uses an AEG bucking and barrel (650mm barrel, to be exact), and can take this
http://airsoftoutletnw.com/index.php?pa ... &Itemid=28

If it does take an AEG bucking, what bucking would you suggest, for keeping it above 450fps?

I have fixed the mag all I can today, but I need to get some new O-rings for it, since one of them was shredded.
Don't bother calling "Surrender" on me, unless you are A) Right by me or B) Shooting 450+ with .20's. I WILL shoot you if I see you, otherwise. I am stubborn, and don't like to surrender. Consider yourself warned.
SinfulPain
Sergeant

Re: Ares AW338 upgrades?

Postby Savage on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:54 am

I had one for a while that I used for plinking.
It takes a standard AEG barrel, 590MM length.
It takes a standard buckings.
As far as the bucking went, I used a stock VFC bucking and it worked very well.
As far as the magazine bits go, I cannot help you there. O-Rings and random bits of hardware stiff are not my forte :(
PRAISE TO THE HOLY PROPHET CLANCY
Facial rugs may increase combat effectiveness?
Savage
Master Sergeant

Postby SinfulPain on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:22 pm

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 4383_n.jpg

Look familiar? Lol.

For adjusting the hop, it's just that hex screw thats under the front part of the scope, right?

Luckily, I'm good at the mechanical parts, including o-rings and such.

The only problems with the mag were that a few o-rings for the valves were shredded, and the nozzle for the release valve was coming loose. All the valves have propane-safe teflon tape on it now, to increase the seal quality.

I'm glad it's just a regular AEG barrel, because that makes my job easier, finding barrel upgrades. Do you remember if its a stock barrel in it, or is it an upgraded tightbore?

~Brian
Don't bother calling "Surrender" on me, unless you are A) Right by me or B) Shooting 450+ with .20's. I WILL shoot you if I see you, otherwise. I am stubborn, and don't like to surrender. Consider yourself warned.
SinfulPain
Sergeant

Postby Savage on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:31 pm

The hop up is indeed the little hex screw just in front of the scope mount.
I've used it stock (and it is stock right now), and with a masuame 6.01 barrel, and they preform the exact same.
And sorry about the mag. It spent the last year sitting in a box looking spiffy. If I had known it was in such bad shape, I'd have done something about it.

Also, I've still got the ammo for it, I forgot to get it to Raynor. Gonna be out of town for a few weeks, but I'll PM you when I can get it to you.
PRAISE TO THE HOLY PROPHET CLANCY
Facial rugs may increase combat effectiveness?
Savage
Master Sergeant

Postby SinfulPain on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:24 pm

It actually doesn't look like it was your fault. One of the O-rings was sliced, and several others were disintegrating.

Alright, thanks! If I knew someone with a 5.98, I'd try it, and see if there's any difference. Not sure I'd want to risk the $85 or whatever on a 5.98 that ends up not making a difference.

~Brian
SinfulPain
Sergeant

Return to Upgrades and Modifications