500FPS Upgrade..... Need a little help :)

Pimp my Gun

Moderator: Moderators

500FPS Upgrade..... Need a little help :)

Postby Exarach on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:28 pm

Hey guys. I recently upgraded my gearbox to around 525 FPS, and need some help and advice about use and longevity.

I purchased a CA SVD, and was a little disappointed by its stock performance. Usually I leave most of my guns below 400fps, as I see no reason to upgrade further, but I figured I would give 500+ a go, do to the fact that the CA SVD FTK is only $56!!

The long and short of it is, I have successfully installed this kit, but am now worried about longevity of the gearbox, and the batteries necessary to turn over the motor with so high a spring.

I have re-shimmed the Gearbox, and it appears to be ok.
It currently can turn over with a 9.6 mini battery

HOWEVER.
The Gearbox is LOUD, and has a strong kick, which is to be expected.

Is there any danger of the GB shell going out on me? Other than the increased wear by so high a spring? And if so, what can be done to aleviate it?
Would sorbothane pads help?

and secondly,

I was planning to use the
Tenergy-7-4V-2S-25C-900mAh-Lipo-E-Flite-Blade-CX2-
http://i.ebayimg.com/10/!CBVBc9QEGk~$(KGrHqQOKpEE0WD9-hRvBNHL4nm9qQ~~0_12.JPG
with deans to power this rifle, and was wondering if that would be adequate, and if not, what would you guys recommend as far as batteries go.

Thanks very much for your time, and hopefully, your help.
I may be a good airsoft tech, but I am new to this High FPS ballgame

Any links to good high FPS topics would be great, but please give an opinion on the battery as well if you can.
"Friendly fire isn't"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?
IconarmsDealer wrote:We are just figureheads.

IconarmsDealer wrote:Fuck you you fat mother fucker
Exarach
Master Sergeant

Re: 500FPS Upgrade..... Need a little help :)

Postby MusicMan on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:42 pm

i have a "project" gun(my ICS L85) that's shooting ~600, I have to use an 11.1v lipo to make sure my GB can turn, i would recommend getting at minimum a 7.4 lipo, higherthen 1000 mah, as the higher power should wear down your battery faster, not sure how you shoot though. Also i'm not sure how easy those Gear boxes are to open but i don't leave my spring in my L85's. i don't know if it actually does anything but i like to think it takes the pressure off, then again its got that easy spring change, not sure about your gun.

my gear box is also very loud, but i also ave a metal piston head/piston hitting the metal gearbox, i need to pick up some sorbo pads to see if it quiets down.
Echo1 AKM 47 // Cyma RPK 74 // Cyma Glock 18c // KWA Glock 19
MusicMan
Sergeant

Postby Exarach on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:44 pm

MusicMan wrote:i have a "project" gun(my ICS L85) that's shooting ~600, I have to use an 11.1v lipo to make sure my GB can turn, i would recommend getting at minimum a 7.4 lipo, higherthen 1000 mah, as the higher power should wear down your battery faster, not sure how you shoot though. Also i'm not sure how easy those Gear boxes are to open but i don't leave my spring in my L85's. i don't know if it actually does anything but i like to think it takes the pressure off, then again its got that easy spring change, not sure about your gun.

my gear box is also very loud, but i also ave a metal piston head/piston hitting the metal gearbox, i need to pick up some sorbo pads to see if it quiets down.

Ya, i am ordering some duro 70 sorbo soon. If you want in on that pm me. Its certainly cheap enough.

I am also looking into a stick battery as soon as I find more magazines.
"Friendly fire isn't"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?
IconarmsDealer wrote:We are just figureheads.

IconarmsDealer wrote:Fuck you you fat mother fucker
Exarach
Master Sergeant

Postby AxisOfOil on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:54 pm

Sorbothane pads will DEFINITELY quiet the gun down if you have a metal piston head! Then again, you also lose the intimidation factor of having everyone on the entire field drop to the ground every time you fire (It's REALLY funny, btw)

If you're pushing 600 fps though, and have no plans of going any further down in FPS, duro 80 00 or 40 A might be better than the 70 (it's a bit harder, will last a bit longer, and absorb the higher pressure just a bit better, but won't work nearly as well for lower fps guns). I use 70 because I change my guns' FPS levels for different games, and it's a good all-around, holds up to high fps, but isn't too terribly hard for low fps.
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Return to Upgrades and Modifications