Building a new M4

Pimp my Gun

Moderator: Moderators

Building a new M4

Postby KingRat on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:53 am

So, I'm sure it's been hashed out in the past...but here is the question.
I'm looking for accuracy over volume. A good rate of fire is desirable, but I don't need to throw ropes.

Here is my current handicap. Stock Echo 1 M4 (JP-01), so I'm sure I'm getting the usual performance from an entry level gun.

On my next build, I'm looking at a KWA, G&G or Echo1 Platinum.

What barrel length is optimal?
Should I lean towards a full length M4, with an Extension and a long tight bore?
Go ahead and build the Carbine setup and simply get a tight bore?

I don't need to reach across the field...but I do need consistent accuracy.

Thanks Crew
KingRat
Recruit

Re: Building a new M4

Postby Exarach on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Try a G&P, right up there with/past KWA, and cheaper to boot. You won't be disappointed with a G&P rifle.
As a base, or as a full gun. Many are fantastic stock.

Throw some cool functional stuff on there, avoid inner-barrel silencers, and you will be good to go!
"Friendly fire isn't"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?
IconarmsDealer wrote:We are just figureheads.

IconarmsDealer wrote:Fuck you you fat mother fucker
Exarach
Master Sergeant

Postby The Honey Badger on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:22 pm

KWA is tight, but they have a lot "KWA only" parts that make them tougher to deal with. Exarach is right with G&P but I don't know if they are any cheaper. G&G GR16's are around 260 but not as hot as KWA out of the box. Classic Army M15 X series are about $270 and probably the best bet.

Least that's my take
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Postby mahabra695 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:45 pm

KWA isnt a great choice. They do use off spec parts compared to TM.

G&G would be a good place to start, I love their hopups. You seem to not want a BB spitting machine and G&G's are good for that. They dont have over the top ROFs.

The E1 Platinum is a VFC rebrand. I havent had the greatest luck with my VFC. Weak piston, weak contacts, weak motor, and my cylinder head was a bit smaller than normal, it was really weird. The E1 uses a different motor than VFC's. Im not sure what, though.
mahabra695
Sergeant

Postby quadro on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:33 pm

TJC10 wrote:Classic Army M15 X series are about $270 and probably the best bet.
Least that's my take

I live by classic army now. I have had many and they all worked great. Gills currently has one of them that as an original CA and it is his workhorse. No maintenance really in probably the past 2 years besides a lubrication. I currently run a CA m15a4 x series and it is amazing! If you have the money for it get a CA x-series.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Harold R. McAlindon

quadro
Executive Advisor

Postby Crono0001 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:23 am

G&G is what I live and breathe by. I own... 3? of them.

Upgrade the barrel and hopup however you like for it to fit your needs, but leave the gearbox alone. It's amazing as it is.
JAG-X
TAC Forum Troll
Crono0001
Master Sergeant

Postby The Honey Badger on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:30 am

330-350 fps with .2's is not that good George. 400-415 is, thats what KWA and CA offer out of the box. G&G's are great but need a new spring from jump. IMO.
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Postby IconarmsDealer on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:07 am

My M4 is a CA, and it has taken a beating works great. As for accuracy.Well seeing as we fire smooth round balls through smooth bores. Id add some length and tighten it up. You can alwas hide the extra length with a suppressor. Be sure you have cylinder volume to cover the longer Barrel
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby mahabra695 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:50 pm

TJC10 wrote:330-350 fps with .2's is not that good George. 400-415 is, thats what KWA and CA offer out of the box. G&G's are great but need a new spring from jump. IMO.

FPS =/= accuracy, although it can affect it . Accuracy and range come from the barrel and hopup. From my experience, the 400 fps KWA gets less range than the 330 FPS G&G. G&G's hopup is superior to KWA's, I cant say anything about CA prolines considering Ive never owned one.
mahabra695
Sergeant

Postby Exarach on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:31 pm

TJC10 wrote:330-350 fps with .2's is not that good George. 400-415 is, thats what KWA and CA offer out of the box. G&G's are great but need a new spring from jump. IMO.

KWA, yes.
CA...? Lol?

My CA Dragunov, and every other CA proline I have ever purchased, has sat right around 330-360 fps with .20.
The sportlines go as low as 280-300fps, I don't know where your getting 400+

CA and TM are renowned for having the lowest FPS stock on the market, as well as some issues with CA's QC. When you get a good CA, they are great performers, but fps out of the box is low.

Personally, I have never liked G&G. They feel weak to me. and I have always been disappointed with there outers. Perhaps its just me, but I tried both there sport (CM) and pro m4 series, and was disappointed. There FN2000 feels off as well.

G&P, KWA, Echo 1, CA. ICS for Mp5's, Cyma/Dboys for Ak's, MAGPUl for Magpul products, TM for Hop up, and A&K for the scrapheap.
"Friendly fire isn't"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?
IconarmsDealer wrote:We are just figureheads.

IconarmsDealer wrote:Fuck you you fat mother fucker
Exarach
Master Sergeant

Next

Return to Upgrades and Modifications