Javalin M4 GB swap

Pimp my Gun

Moderator: Moderators

Javalin M4 GB swap

Postby T3hl33tn00b on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:36 am

Okay, so I bought a Javalin M4 project gun for a REALLY great price a while back, and got it up and running for a while, but the gearbox is just not cutting it. I have had too many non standard parts failing to even bother trying to fix it anymore. So I was looking into buying a drop in gearbox, and swapping over some of my upgrades. I saw a sweet quick change spring gearbox, and I keep thinking how cool that would be for an M4, since I could build it up as a high ROF field gun, swap the spring, and run it in CQB. Well, I cant find much info on the gearbox, but what I have found looks pretty good Some minor little things like a micro switch instead of the standard trigger contacts, that can be prone to early failure, and cheaper piston and whatnot, but most of the problems will be fixed with my upgrades. So here's the questions;
1. Will it even fit in the Javalin Metal body?
2. Do you think its worth it to get the relatively unknown gearbox for the features?
3. If not, what drop in replacement would you recommend within the same price range?

Any info you might have would be awesome too!
Here's the link to the Gearbox I'm looking at:
http://www.khmountain.com/airsoft/produ ... ts_id=2960
T3hl33tn00b
Master Sergeant

Re: Javalin M4 GB swap

Postby IconarmsDealer on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:18 am

I have NEW upgraded a Lipo ready Matrix M4 gear box M120 Very nice Wires front Make you deal! PM me
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby T3hl33tn00b on Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:13 pm

IconarmsDealer wrote:I have NEW upgraded a Lipo ready Matrix M4 gear box M120 Very nice Wires front Make you deal! PM me

Not interested in anything matrix of Aim Top, I already have one in my SPR and its probably the cheapest Gearbox xhell I have ever had the displeasure of working with.
T3hl33tn00b
Master Sergeant

Postby KileyHAZ on Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:53 pm

I've built two guns out of the CA X series gearboxes and love them. Sadly, they dont sell them as a complete kit so your stuck buying a standard M4 and gutting it to keep the box and sell the externals (this is what I did) or buying it all as loose parts and assembling it yourself (cheaper to buy a full gun IMO).

Your best first step IMO is to borrow someones standard V2 box and seeing if it fits or bringing yours to someone with a standard V2 body and seeing if it fits. It would suck to make big plans, spend money, then find out the body is proprietary. I'm not sure if we have much collective experience with Javelin quite yet to give you a thumbs up.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby IconarmsDealer on Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:08 pm

T3hl33tn00b wrote:
IconarmsDealer wrote:I have NEW upgraded a Lipo ready Matrix M4 gear box M120 Very nice Wires front Make you deal! PM me

Not interested in anything matrix of Aim Top, I already have one in my SPR and its probably the cheapest Gearbox xhell I have ever had the displeasure of working with.

Really? I have the same one in my M4 and its..well used and not had asingle problem.
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby T3hl33tn00b on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:31 pm

IconarmsDealer wrote:
Really? I have the same one in my M4 and its..well used and not had asingle problem.

Its just made of really cheap metal, and its internals are reinforced, but made really cheaply.
T3hl33tn00b
Master Sergeant

Postby mahabra695 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:13 am

You could also try a DBoys or JG drop in gearbox. After some shimming and a good motor, those run really well.
mahabra695
Sergeant

Postby T3hl33tn00b on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:50 am

mahabra695 wrote:You could also try a DBoys or JG drop in gearbox. After some shimming and a good motor, those run really well.

Yea, a lot of people reccomend that, but for the difference in price, the Quick change spring GB is only another $5-10, and the Internals look really good. The only real drawback I'm seeing is the micro switch. Does anyone know how hard it is to switch a Mirco switch gearbox over to a standard setup?
T3hl33tn00b
Master Sergeant

Postby mahabra695 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:20 am

As long as the micro switch doesnt fail on you I see no problem, but thats no guarentee.

As long as the dimensions of the micro switch are the same as a standard V2 trigger assembly, you shouldnt have any problems replacing it if it dies.
mahabra695
Sergeant

Postby Julian on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:40 am

that gearbox being under $50 and plastic is a huge turnoff. I highly doubt that it's going to be any better than the javelin m4 gearbox was stock.

kiley is right; just buy a new gun. people sell things so awesomely cheap on here I'm sure you can find an existing m4 (probably with a few bells and whistles) for around $200.

unfortunately every airsofter has to go through horrible trial and error to get their gun working right after opening it up as a newbie...happened to me--mr. g is still working on getting it to feed correctly! lol...buying a working gun and just leaving it the hell alone is a pretty solid route to take.
Julian
Private 1st Class

Next

Return to Upgrades and Modifications