REAPS?

Pimp my Gun

Moderator: Moderators

Re: REAPS?

Postby Savage on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:56 pm

The data is highly doubt able. But the rifling is NOT to impart a central spin. The hopup is still used for backspin. I'm pretty sure mixing backspin and rifling would be pretty weird.
The whole thing was covered much more in-depth on a thread on airsoft forum. Had nifty diagrams, grouping tests, and a few posts by tillman snuck in there.
PRAISE TO THE HOLY PROPHET CLANCY
Facial rugs may increase combat effectiveness?
Savage
Master Sergeant

Postby airsoftguy on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:48 pm

This is what you get when you fire a lead .177 pellet at a steel plate from a rifled bore air rifle at 20 yards away.
The pellets are traveling at 900fps which completely vaporize when struck at a hard material
inverted cone on the bottom engages the rifling which makes the pellet spin.
Free body piercing, anywhere any size, if you stand in front of my iron sights.
airsoftguy
Sergeant

Postby Crono0001 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:48 pm

IconarmsDealer wrote:Sprialing a basket ball would do nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDnCoWIU ... 0BD7BBED3F
JAG-X
TAC Forum Troll
Crono0001
Master Sergeant

Postby ultimentra on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:43 pm

Crono0001 wrote:

Thats a nice video, but it does nothing to prove your point. A man throwing a basketball and a bb being propelled down a barrel at 400 feet per second through air compression whilst having a back spin due to the hop-up are not the same thing.
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby IconarmsDealer on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:22 am

ultimentra wrote:
Crono0001 wrote:

Thats a nice video, but it does nothing to prove your point. A man throwing a basketball and a bb being propelled down a barrel at 400 feet per second through air compression whilst having a back spin due to the hop-up are not the same thing.

Ah......The B Ball is NOT spiraling! If anything its rolling through the air. I do notice some back spin,but its simply from the man shooting it and the way it leaves his hand. Sometimes it spins very little in the vids.I doubt that its travelling very fast.It is velocity and not Gyro effect that gets a B-Ball to the hoop! If the B ball had divets like a golf ball that may change things.
We are getting off the point here.
Effects of Rifling on a Round Hard BB smaller than bore. Unless the Lands and groves can bite the projectile and spin it then IMO its a waste of money.
BB bounce inside of a barrel....If we are speaking of 6.08MM bore I would say that some Rattle would be present...but not much, and in a 6.01 Id say theres only 0.02mm or less room for rattle. I can place a BB in my tight bore and hold my finger over the end, and the vacume will hold the BB in place...move my finger and the BB drops out.Thats a pretty tight seal.
A company that markets a Rifled AEG barrel is going to give you positive feedback.
If its just a pad of air cushioning the Bb then the Rifleing could be strait, and not spiral..that might help. But spinning a round ball in a spiral motion as opposed to back spin......I have doubts. i will conduct a test with Pellet guns get back with you
First unbderstand Bullet Vs Ball http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet
VOTE FOR MITT ROMNEY IN ELECTION 2012 AND HELP RESTORE AMERICA
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby Crono0001 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:51 pm

Angular momentum is always conserved. I could spiral/spin a dog and it would create the same effect. You put spin on a basketball when you shoot to stabilize its trajectory. It's what keeps a bike up while the wheels are spinning. If spiraling the basketball didn't help, jumpers would look like a layup.
JAG-X
TAC Forum Troll
Crono0001
Master Sergeant

Postby IconarmsDealer on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:24 am

Crono0001 wrote:Angular momentum is always conserved. I could spiral/spin a dog and it would create the same effect. You put spin on a basketball when you shoot to stabilize its trajectory. It's what keeps a bike up while the wheels are spinning. If spiraling the basketball didn't help, jumpers would look like a layup.

When you test the spiraling dog idea I want to watch this LOL. I would say that there is no way to throw anything by hand or weapon that did not impart some type of spin. I see no consistant pattern in any of the Vids They make a shot and sometimes it spins a lot and sometimes not at all.Just passing an object through the air will cuase frictions and spin/wobble.
We are speaking of a BB thats 6.00mm +/-0,01mm and a Bullet say 6mm X 24mm being fired from a Smooth bore and a Rifled bore.
There is a reason the AEGs have the hop Turn it off and you get little range, turn it up too high and the BB flies Up in the air. The BB are very light and are easy to effect with air and spin. velocity is low even at 440Fps
A Bullet is long and cone shapes with a boat tail. Prime example is the 5.4X39MM it was known to tumble end over end as the The velocity decreased. eary 5.56mm did the same Keep in mind a Bullet is spinning about 250,000 RPMs so it flies pretty accuratley.
If you fired a 5.45mm X39mm from a smoth bore I doubt you clould reach out much further than 100-200 meters before its just tumbled, maybe even less. Watch a foot ball as it gets closer to the receivers on some of those looooooong hail marry passes it starts to Yaw as the spiral effcect decreases.If not cuaght it would start to tumble end over end. Same thing with a bullet.
Take a look at this Ballistics chart for the.338Lupua mag. This is loaded froma .416 Rigby case. Take not of the Velocity it retains even out to 500 yards. it is for this reason many sniper guns are chamberd for this.
http://www.cpcartridge.com/338lapua-B.htm
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby IconarmsDealer on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:26 am

Test: Gun #1
Chinese Smooth bore training rifle 4.5mm caliber,Singe stroke action
Range 30Ft
Ammo: Daisy Brand Copper BB
Hits In Blue Pen
Note right side of photo is Bottom

Hits just below point of aim

Test#2
Crossman pump action Rifled bore 4.5mm @ 7 Pumps
Ammo Daisy Lead Conical pellet
Range 30Ft
4 Hits center at point of aim In yellow

Test #3;
Crossman Pump action,Rifled bore 4.5mm @7 pumps
Range 30Ft
Ammo: Daisy Copper BB
Hits:4 rounds One miss,Three Right of Point of aim
Hits in Yellow

Test#4;
Chinese Training rifle Smooth bore 4.5mm
Range 30Ft
Ammo Daisy Conical lead pellet
4 rounds 4 hits,above point of aim Note three Key holed hits (tumbled) In blue pen

My conclusion:
The BBs from the rifled Barrel were High and right of center
The BBs from Smoothe Barrel were Low of center
The Pellets from rifled bore were dead center, With two hits nearly one on the other
The Pellets from smooth bore,were High of center With 3 0f four being Tumblers

While No hop up is present it looks as if the rifled gun spun the BBs High and right with one flyer.While this was just a fun test I think we can conclude the A Bb is more accurate froma smooth bore gun, while a Pellets Is less so.
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

Postby Savage on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:15 pm

PRAISE TO THE HOLY PROPHET CLANCY
Facial rugs may increase combat effectiveness?
Savage
Master Sergeant

Postby IconarmsDealer on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:22 pm

A1. Actually, the barrel ISN'T "rifled" in the standard sense of a real gun. Yes, the inner barrel has spiral rifling grooves in it, but the BB does NOT touch the groove. The purpose of the TWIST inner barrel is not to put a rifling spin on the BB.

A3. Up to 330fps, the results of the shot and even the shots dropoff are very predictable, accurate and flat. Groupings remain tight with very little spread. However, once the velocity of the shot begins to exceed that limit, the shot starts to become unpredictable with increased spread. The higher the velocity, the greater the perceived spread.

While it looks like it has some Positive effect at 330Fps and below It does in fact have a Negative effect at Higher velocities.I personaly have nothing that fires 330Fps.

I think this thread has been fun to cover...Perhaps these barrels would be good In GBB handguns where velocity is within the limiting range- Good post Savage..And Chrono
IconarmsDealer
TAC Sergeant of Arms

PreviousNext

Return to Upgrades and Modifications