Shirke kit

Pimp my Gun

Moderator: Moderators

Shirke kit

Postby AZsharpshooter on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Alright I wanted to try to make a shirke kit for my M4 and was looking for some helpfull suggestions on how to get it started. Ive figured that I could probably take the hand guard from an old M249 and modifiy it and place a rail on the top to secure it and Im sure that I will be able to find a box mag that would look acceptable as well. Humm any thoughts.
Primary- G&G GR-16 carbine (M4A1)
Back up- Echo 1 G36C
Secondary- KWA G23F

Just call me Sharpshooter
AZsharpshooter
Sergeant

Re: Shirke kit

Postby clayton on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:54 pm

so in other words, ya wanna diy the shrike kit. hmmm, well if ya want ya can have my old m249 guard. but i have no idea how this would work.
clayton
1st Lieutenant

Postby KileyHAZ on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:53 am

The Ares Shrike would be not too bad to DIY. You could use a standard M4 box mag inside an M249 box mag shell and then run linked rounds to the receiver. This would keep the m4 feed mechanism in the right place but show off that cool external belt feed look of the shrike. The problem is finding an upper receiver to match the look. My guess is you would have to fudge it with some kind of M4 upper or use a 249 for donor parts and some plasticard and bondo putty to model it a bit.

http://www.aresdefense.com/images/Shrik ... MG-003.JPG

Have I mentioned I have a plastic body STAR M249 that would do nicely for this job? ;)
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby AZsharpshooter on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:06 am

Thanks for the Thoughts on this one kiley, I hadn't thought about taking the shell of an old box mag and covering the m4 one. If I did the ares style of kit I wouldn't have to retro fit the M249 hand guard, And as far as the top feed cover I figured what I could do is take one off an M249 and and I could permenatly fix it to the top rail of the upper reciver and build some sort of a boarder to make it look approprite. humm this could be a reall good project.
Primary- G&G GR-16 carbine (M4A1)
Back up- Echo 1 G36C
Secondary- KWA G23F

Just call me Sharpshooter
AZsharpshooter
Sergeant

Postby KileyHAZ on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:18 am

Plasticard slips glued to each other could give a thickend appearance to the receiver and build up a transitional area to the wider 249 upper receiver tray. Back when I played table top wargames we used that stuff to make borders around scale model buildings and to strap armor plates to tanks etc. As you can see from the photo linked below you can basically scratch build anything out of it with an exacto knife, some super glue, primer and paint.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q231 ... ombo01.jpg

Good luck and if you want to work out something on the star 249 for use in this project drop me a line.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby Cheese on Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:32 pm

KileyHAZ wrote:Plasticard slips glued to each other could give a thickend appearance to the receiver and build up a transitional area to the wider 249 upper receiver tray. Back when I played table top wargames we used that stuff to make borders around scale model buildings and to strap armor plates to tanks etc. As you can see from the photo linked below you can basically scratch build anything out of it with an exacto knife, some super glue, primer and paint.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q231 ... ombo01.jpg

Good luck and if you want to work out something on the star 249 for use in this project drop me a line.

'ere we go! Waaaaaaaagh!!! (I love orks!)

I find that a little blue/yellow epoxy or liquid silicon works for shimming externals and filling cracks, should you go the path of the plasticard.
Cheese
Private

Return to Upgrades and Modifications