Cry for help / rant.

Pimp my Gun

Moderator: Moderators

Cry for help / rant.

Postby Hawkeye on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:50 pm

Just a general rant about my wonderful (sarcasm) experiment of attempting to create a sweet air soft sniper rifle. My first mistake was to assume I could start with a reasonably cheap base, enter the 200 dollar (less tax) UTG L96 shadow ops with included scope from the DP speedway shop. Now, I had heard these were hit and miss and far as QC, but after some tweaking they are very nice out of the box to start.

Mine was MISS, after some wildly inaccurate shots while dialing in the pretty nice scope that came with it, I noticed that even with the hop up cranked the gun failed to range past 60 feet, at any adjustment. I then proceeded to strip the rifle down, for the "tweaking" recommended. wiped down the excessive grease, evened out the barrel spacers and secured them with some tape. Then I noticed were my problem was most likely coming from...on the back of the hop up unit is a small strip of plastic holding a spring down...and it was busted... not really sure what this does but just by process of elimination I am assuming this is why there is no 'hop" or range on this rifle. Knowing DP doesn't exchange or return rifles I will have to eat this one, until I get some spare cash for upgrades I suppose.

Then to top things off, some extras I ordered from AEX, a Guarder barrel adapter and flash hider were both crummy as well. after cleaning the female threaded flash hider threads with a brass brush now it finally threads correctly on a 14 mm male end. The adapter that AEX claims to not have anymore of, but continue to list in stock to this day http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/ind ... ts_id=2402
was not a Guarder adapter but a laylax, and was FUBAR, the threads were shot on arrival with wide imperfections in the machining. I have yet to receive even an apology from AEX on that one.

My point? If your going to build a sniper rifle from a cheaper base, be ready for a headache. So far I have spent about 300 dollars that I could have spent on another quality AEG and have a Lemon to show for it.
Hawkeye
Recruit

Re: Cry for help / rant.

Postby AZsharpshooter on Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:08 pm

Im sorry to hear that sounds like you should have just ordered a VSR-10 from AEX for $180.
Primary- G&G GR-16 carbine (M4A1)
Back up- Echo 1 G36C
Secondary- KWA G23F

Just call me Sharpshooter
AZsharpshooter
Sergeant

Postby Savage on Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:10 pm

I've heard with the UTG L96 you need to open the outer barrel, and evenly space the bands around the outer barrel, duct-them into place, and after then adjust the hopup to your liking, you should get 160-220 in range after that.
There's a pretty simple "how-to" on the airsplat review http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AR-UTG-AWP-368A.htm
Some retailers also sell an overhaul kit, with an improved hopup, spring and inner barrel.
PRAISE TO THE HOLY PROPHET CLANCY
Facial rugs may increase combat effectiveness?
Savage
Master Sergeant

Postby Hawkeye on Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Savage wrote:I've heard with the UTG L96 you need to open the outer barrel, and evenly space the bands around the outer barrel, duct-them into place, and after then adjust the hopup to your liking, you should get 160-220 in range after that.
There's a pretty simple "how-to" on the airsplat review http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AR-UTG-AWP-368A.htm
Some retailers also sell an overhaul kit, with an improved hopup, spring and inner barrel.

Yeah as mentioned in OP. I spaced the barrel out, taped em. But I think the hopup is bad, no change in trajectory at all.
Hawkeye
Recruit

Postby Psycho-Dad on Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:28 pm

Hawkeye,

Send it back to UTG...They will repair and replace it for free. I got a UTG M14 from Airsplat and from first day the thing started falling apart, first the charging handle broke, next the butt plate broke off, then hop up began feed two bbs at once. Anyhow, Call UTG and they say no problem send it back and they would fix and replace it.
Nine days later I had a new M14, I dont know if Airsoft gets all the crappy guns for the manufacturer or what ?
Because the new M14 UTG sent me doesn't looking anything like the one I sent them. The fit and finish on this one is first rate and it shoots great.

Very Happy!

http://www.leapers.com/pages/airsoft_sp ... s368rh.htm

Last edited by Psycho-Dad on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psycho-Dad
Private

Postby Savage on Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:38 pm

Sorry. I have problems reading mega posts. But if UTG'll replace it, I say good luck!
PRAISE TO THE HOLY PROPHET CLANCY
Facial rugs may increase combat effectiveness?
Savage
Master Sergeant

Postby Hawkeye on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I unscrewed the end cap, trying to fit an adapter on the outer barrel so they will probably be wise to the fact I disassembled the rifle. Probably will keep me from being able to return it. As far as the VSR 10 goes Sharpshooter.... I still would have had to upgrade that to get the 500 fps that is stock on the L96. No doubt on that fps either, the L96 shoots clean through the bottom of a coke can and then through the top. I just wish it would shoot straight. Hoping to find an aftermarket hop up (PDI) and barrel.
Hawkeye
Recruit

Postby V-S on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:53 pm

Oh woah woah woah, wait... what?

You were expecting a nice firing rifle stock, out of the box; when you ordered a UTG Mk96?

Now, you did get a crappy product, I'll admit it... but, if you plan on making it a good sniper rifle, then why should it matter?

The UTG Mk96 can be made to be a great rifle, but isn't one stock. I've owned several, and they'll never be a nice gun stock. You simply have to upgrade them, if you want them to actually be useful.
V-S
Corporal

Postby Hawkeye on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:43 pm

V-S wrote:Oh woah woah woah, wait... what?

You were expecting a nice firing rifle stock, out of the box; when you ordered a UTG Mk96?

Now, you did get a crappy product, I'll admit it... but, if you plan on making it a good sniper rifle, then why should it matter?

The UTG Mk96 can be made to be a great rifle, but isn't one stock. I've owned several, and they'll never be a nice gun stock. You simply have to upgrade them, if you want them to actually be useful.

I understand what you mean, but I was just hoping to use the thing a few times as I purchased upgrades. This is not possible because its arcing bb's downward @ 60 feet traveling 500 fps. Someone would get hurt if I even thought of using this thing inside 60 feet.

I have upgrade parts selected and I am waiting on a quote from Hong Kong (Den Trinity) list price for a PDI Hop up, Hop kit, PDI barrel, and new barrel adapter...... without shipping is going to be about 270 dollars.....god help me on shipping.

The point of the post was to make people who may be contemplating this method to think it over again carefully, and then again.

If you have better ideas for getting upgrade parts (or want to tell me something I don't already know) I am open to suggestions. I have yet to find anything stateside (in stock).

I researched the UTG L96 thoroughly before I purchased it, I fully planned on upgrading it, but I surely didn't intend to pay new price for a broken gun.
Hawkeye
Recruit

Postby V-S on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:37 pm

You're going to spend a lot to upgrade the gun, regardless. However, you can call up Leapers and they should be able to send you a new hopup assembly. That'll let you play with it for a little bit, before you go and order your upgrades.
V-S
Corporal

Return to Upgrades and Modifications