hop up problems

Tips and tricks for keeping your equipment in top shape

Moderator: Moderators

hop up problems

Postby NHtucsonaz on Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:37 pm

ok when i shoot in semi or full auto withhop up the whole way with most back spin it shoots about 5 bbs ok then the next few just drop and then it will go back to working fine and then again with no back spin.. i took out the hop up to see if maybe the spacer wasnt pushing down on the sleeve but everythng looks like its working fine.. what could i do to fix it? and also 1. would Classic Army hop up work in ICS? 2. whats the difference between hard and soft hop up bucking besides that ones hard and the other soft?
NHtucsonaz
Sergeant

Re: hop up problems

Postby dejavu on Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:03 pm

With hopup on all the way, no bb is going to perform it's best- those bbs should be curving straight up with your hopup settings on all the way. Your hopup shouldn't require you to put it up all the way in order for bbs to just fly straight.
dejavu
Master Sergeant

Postby PhaedrusZen on Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:10 pm

As far as the bucking types go, I've found two reasons for using a hard versus soft bucking. The deciding factor for one versus the other is obviously how hot your gun shoots, and around 400 fps is the deciding factor, so if you're playing with us, unless you're a sniper, a soft bucking should be all you need.

The first reason I found was that a soft bucking will actually wear down or rip when shooting over 400-425 fps, so there's a durability factor involved. The second reason was that with the bb traveling with that much more energy, the soft bucking, for the time it would last in the gun, can potentially "over-hop" your shots, giving you more backspin than you otherwise need. I imagine using a hard bucking could cause the opposite effect, not giving your shots enough spin in a lower fps gun, due to the rubber not being as "grippy".

I've got no answers for why your gun is shooting so inconsistantly, other than the possibility that the hop-up dial is rotating while you shoot. You can try throwing on a lock washer on that dial to see if that helps. it's a cheap, easy fix, and something to try. If anyone has any better information about the bucking types, please let me know. That's just what I've been able to gather from various websites.
sky soldier wrote:...Oh wait, nevermind his lips are painted orange, they must not be real cuss words.
PhaedrusZen
Executive Advisor

Postby NHtucsonaz on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:37 pm

dejavu wrote:With hopup on all the way, no bb is going to perform it's best- those bbs should be curving straight up with your hopup settings on all the way. Your hopup shouldn't require you to put it up all the way in order for bbs to just fly straight.

i do see what you mean it seems though like my gun needs the hop up to have more back spin cause when its up the whole way it shoots pertly straight it used to never do that, thank you both for your help and input

does any one know if a classic army hopup would work fine with a TM?
NHtucsonaz
Sergeant

Postby HiSkoolFunf on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:28 pm

I had the same problem a while ago all I did was take it apart and put it back together and it was fixed, but cleaning your hop up wouldn't hurt while your at it.
HiSkoolFunf
Private 1st Class

Postby NHtucsonaz on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:13 pm

ight ill try that thanks
NHtucsonaz
Sergeant

Return to Maintenance and Troubleshooting