Cracked Body

Tips and tricks for keeping your equipment in top shape

Moderator: Moderators

Cracked Body

Postby V-S on Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:27 am

So my PR has a bit of a crack in the body from UPS, and I was wondering if anybody might have some know-how on how to fix something like this. Here are some pics for reference to show the damage, any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has the ability to fix such a problem, AND MAKE IT LOOK GOOD, and is willing to do so for a fee, then PLEASE let me know.
V-S
Corporal

Re: Cracked Body

Postby clayton on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:04 am

what a dam shame, anyways my best suggestion is to fill the crack with high density apoxy, and then make sure the apoxy settles in evenly and flush, then go hunt for some model paint of the same color.
clayton
1st Lieutenant

Postby KileyHAZ on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:29 am

clayton wrote:what a dam shame, anyways my best suggestion is to fill the crack with high density apoxy, and then make sure the apoxy settles in evenly and flush, then go hunt for some model paint of the same color.

+1, just make sure the epoxy you use is compatible with the body material. May be worth testing inside the body before apply it outside the body.

Personally, I'd claim against UPS myself...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby yellow_fever on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:06 am

Yeah, I wouldn't bother fixing it, I'd get compensation.
When in doubt, call it out.
Savage wrote:Good to know snow camo isn't desert issue anymore.
yellow_fever
Sergeant

Postby thatoneguy92088 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:27 pm

If you are going to make a claim against UPS, you are going to have to make sure the guy that sent it put the correct amount of insurance on it. When you make the claim, they are going to compare the insurance to how much its costs to buy (to get a comparable). Then you will run into trouble if he packed it, as they might try to say it was packed improperly (it is supposed to be packed well enough to survive being dropped 5 feet, but they treat them worse). If your claim goes through, they will reimburse you the amount that is comparable up to how much he insured. When they pay out, they take the item and give you the money, they don't just give you a check and let you keep the item. This is how it was when I worked at UPS, but things could have changed.
The First Rule of Gunfighting is "Have a gun."
thatoneguy92088
Corporal

Postby PhaedrusZen on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Of course if UPS won't work with you, there's always the seller. That's damaged goods...get him to replace it for you!
sky soldier wrote:...Oh wait, nevermind his lips are painted orange, they must not be real cuss words.
PhaedrusZen
Executive Advisor

Postby Savage on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:03 pm

I'm going to add my 2 cents.
You're going to need to do more than glue it shut and paint it
First, you're going to need to open it up, and re-align the cracked sides.
Then, on the inside of the gun you're going to need to reinforce a lot of the surface area around and across the crack. Small steel/polymer sheet of some sort, glued in.
Then, there are two ways to fix the crack itself.
1: Glue it
2: (I prefer this) Melt it with a soldering iron you won't need again. Then, add a glue, or rubber adhesive of some sort into the channel made by the iron, sand extremely finely.
Then after that, you're going to paint it.
If done right it will look perfect
And, if that part has broken before, it's going to see more abuse. You're going to need to reinforce it, instead of just glueing it. It will prevent many more fixes in the future.
PRAISE TO THE HOLY PROPHET CLANCY
Facial rugs may increase combat effectiveness?
Savage
Master Sergeant

Return to Maintenance and Troubleshooting