TM FAMAS

Tips and tricks for keeping your equipment in top shape

Moderator: Moderators

TM FAMAS

Postby yellow_fever on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:40 pm

So, I was testing out my new FAMAS (thanks to Savage ;) ), and I noticed some weird things about. Now, these are really just nuisances, and otherwise the gun works like a dream, but I'd still like to fix them.

Basically, it does not work on semi-auto. Like, at all. I've read that a common problem is that they'll crap out on semi, but then you shoot a burst on full auto, switch it back and problem solved. But in this case, it just simply won't fire on that setting. Switching back and forth does nothing. Nor does releasing spring tension.

Secondly, when it's firing on auto, every few bursts or so it seizes up and quits shooting. I found that if I just hold the trigger down for a second or two when it's frozen like that, it will start firing again.

I haven't popped it open yet, but I'm thinking it could be that the selector switch is bust. Then again, I've never had a FAMAS before, so please, suggestions, any advice will help.
When in doubt, call it out.
Savage wrote:Good to know snow camo isn't desert issue anymore.
yellow_fever
Sergeant

Re: TM FAMAS

Postby Savage on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:00 pm

My first guess would be that there is something between the selector switch and the gearbox. The semi has always been a little bit funky, but I never had problems with it on auto. There might be some sand between the slidey-trigger plate and the connection disk in there. (Don't know the real names, sorry :? )
And for the semi, the selector switch might be misaligned, or there might be a loose bit. I never took it open that far back, I'm really sure that they're both very simple fixes.
And if you need more mags, airsplat sells plati 30-shots for 6 bucks each, they should fit with little to no modification. Much better than 30 buck matrix brand
PRAISE TO THE HOLY PROPHET CLANCY
Facial rugs may increase combat effectiveness?
Savage
Master Sergeant

Postby ultimentra on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:13 pm

I was original owner of the gun and I had both problems. To fix the semi problem I just shot it in full auto and it worked, dunno whats going on with semi now. You could always use trigger control while in full auto to gain semi auto. Another thing about the jamming, use an unjamming rod and clean the barrel, its possible to get dirt in there and I have a couple bb jams with it before and that fixed it for quite awhile. I hope this helped. I kinda miss my FAMAS, but alas, I needed what it couldn't give me :) .
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby yellow_fever on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:35 pm

Want it back? ;)

It's not that it's jamming, it feeds great actually. It's just that every once and awhile, you pull the trigger and get nothing. The motor doesn't even try to turn over. That's what I meant by "seizes up." But like I said, it's more a of a nuisance than anything.
yellow_fever
Sergeant

Postby Savage on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:17 pm

Yeah, I'm always game for tradebacks. I'll even be getting a real-steel FAMAS this spring :D Joining the FFL.
I won't be able to make a special trip down for you, though. Soon as I find a suck-free game, or if I get a callback from anyone I applied at I'll be there. Hope you're okay with waiting.
Savage
Master Sergeant

Postby yellow_fever on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:36 pm

I meant Ulti, but either way it's up for grabs. Got other thing on the list. :D
yellow_fever
Sergeant

Postby Savage on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:29 pm

Wait, I'm the one who traded it to you. Now I be confused!
Savage
Master Sergeant

Postby ultimentra on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:06 pm

Yea I traded it to savage, who in tern traded it again to you.
ultimentra
TAC XO

Postby Savage on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:36 am

Alright, we'll have to sort out a time/place. Most likely december. Your M14 back for the FAMAS.
Savage
Master Sergeant

Return to Maintenance and Troubleshooting