Gun Maintenance

Tips and tricks for keeping your equipment in top shape

Moderator: Moderators

Gun Maintenance

Postby LOVITOZ on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:00 pm

Obviously each gun NEEDS silicon in order for it to function at it's best but I was wondering if you can use just any type of silicon, I.E. one bought at a hardware store instead of the special type you get at DP. It's not that I can't get it, it's just that I don't want to go all the way to the other side of town to get it when there is an ACE hardware store just down the street. Hope to hear from someone! Been aching to see the internals of my gun.
LOVITOZ
Private

Re: Gun Maintenance

Postby ryukensfj on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:38 pm

You don't want to buy any silicon.

Be sure you are buying airsoft silicone spray or 'food' grade silicone spray. This uses alcohol as the solvent base. Some hardware store silicone sprays (such as Liquid Wrench with silicone) are petroleum based, like WD-40 and will end up damaging your AEG.

You can also look for 'dry' lube or teflon lubes used for motor sports and cycling; these are alcohol based. Be sure to look for the words "Safe for O-rings" before using on your AEG.

Here is one example...
the one on the left: used "gunk" silicone oil i got from a hardware store. The color is a greyish-blue, it was originally black. The texture is sticky, chalky, dry and simply gross and not what it should feel like. Basically, the silicone oil ruined the bucking.

the one on the right: used regular airsoft silicon oil. As you can see, it is still black (as it should be) the texture feels like brand new rubber and is just as good as the day i bought it.
ryukensfj
Corporal

Postby LOVITOZ on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:42 pm

Hey thanks!
LOVITOZ
Private

Postby quadro on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:01 pm

I do not use and sort of propelled silicon on my guns. Only 100% silicon shock oil for remote controlled cars. If it is for a bucking do not put it inside the bucking as it will decrease your accuracy and precision. I pull my barrel and bucking out of the hopup and apply the silicon to the OUTSIDE of the bucking only.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Harold R. McAlindon

quadro
Executive Advisor

Return to Maintenance and Troubleshooting