DBOYS RDW

Tips and tricks for keeping your equipment in top shape

Moderator: Moderators

DBOYS RDW

Postby Exarach on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Hello guys! Heres another thread for your viewing pleasure! For a while now there has been speculation about the quality and upgrade potential of the DBoys RDW, well, this is the thread.
I had a good experience with my Dboys AKS74un and figured, hey! that works really well! So why not buy another?!?
The Dboys PDW retails for USD 180$ which is a little high for my taste, so I figured I would bide my time before I found one at a good price.

Well, I couldn't resist! I had been wanting to upgrade and mess with the RDW for a while! So I gave the seller a call, and proceeded to set up a meet.
I was also told then, that the gun had a selector problem which made it fire only full auto. No big deal. I can fix that.
So, the meet was set. I bought the gun.
Turns out, full auto is about the only thing left on the gun that could still work...

I had intended this to be a review and an upgrade log. Now you guys will be able to get a full repair and restore guide! Then an upgrade guide!

Here is my first list of estimate replacements and repairs!
- Replace bolt catch, which was missing entirely
-Repair stock, deep chip, and violation by the JB weld monster
-Find replacement push button for the locking stock as the original is missing entirely and the stock wont lock at all
-Replace the selector plate, which is currently a random m4 selector, with the gun specific metal selector plate for the RDW
- Fix the selector switches, came in parts bag.
- Plug gaping hole where someone had attempted to remove the fake pin.
- Replace aesthetic plate on the side of the rifle, which was missing
-Deep clean (Mud removal)

The large hole in the stock metal body, and the area were the selector is held
Chunk missing from folding stock, looks almost like a weld scar.
Telltale signs of the unavoidable and equally destructive attack of the Jb weld monster in a crude stock repair
and the empty hole where the stock locking piece would be housed.

As you can see, I have my work cutout for me.
The seller said he was giving the gun as a bag of parts, and put it back together as best he could, and that all the damage was already done, minus the fake pin destruction, which was an accident.

Which leads me to ask, where can I get replacement parts for this gun? I have called ASGI, and they said they do not stock parts for the RDW, which leaves me on a rope. Evike either.

So it looks like I am fabbing everything for this rifle! And I promise I will post many pics of the restoration job for anyone who cares to watch!

I already have several ideas for part fabrication, however I would like to open this thread up for any input from you guys on how I should go about with the restoration!

Also! From the sounds of it, this gun has been passed around TAC for a while since it was new, so if anyone reading this would happen to have any of the parts from this gun, or any suitable replacements, hit me up! Particularly if you have the stock locking piece, or its spring, which was a big blow to the gun.

So far I have estimated the gun to fire right around 380-410 with the poor mans chrono, but other than that, a full, bigger stress test and review is forthcoming!

I will keep you all appraised!
Last edited by Exarach on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Friendly fire isn't"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?
IconarmsDealer wrote:We are just figureheads.

IconarmsDealer wrote:Fuck you you fat mother fucker
Exarach
Master Sergeant

Re: DBOYS RDW

Postby AlexDean on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:09 pm

good luck man.
Here I sit all broken hearted; came to poop and only farted.
AlexDean
Master Sergeant

Re: DBOYS RDW

Postby Exarach on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:02 pm

*** UPDATE ***

Yesterday I sent emails to over 10 airsoft retailers, and got little or no help from each, finally I called in to Airsoft MegaStore. Within 24 hours I had received a quote for each of the parts I had requested.

They went out of there way to help me get the parts I needed, and to make them available at a decent price,
I decided to purchase all of them but the lower, and am currently awaiting a reply to finalize the order.
Huge points for Airsoft Megastore! Both ASGI and Evike weren't willing to raise a finger to help me, and these guys managed to come up with a solution within two days!

I will keep you updated on the status of the order, and the repair!

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 1:29 PM, <support@airsoftmegastore.com> wrote:
Hi Shaun,

Here is the price break down for the parts:

Selector plate - $12.75
Bolt catch mechanism - $17.00
Rear stock locking mechanism - $12.75
Lower receiver $25.00

Best Regards,

Wilson
Support
http://www.AirsoftMegastore.com
Twitter.com/airsoftms
facebook.com/airsoftmegastore

To view ticket history, please visit the following URL:
https://www.airsoftmegastore.com/ticket ... TicketKey=

Follow us on Twitter @ Twitter.com/AirsoftMS
Become a fan on Facebook @ Facebook.com/AirsoftMegastore
"Friendly fire isn't"
If a speeding pellet in a quiet woods hits a noob in the face, and he cries, does anyone care?
IconarmsDealer wrote:We are just figureheads.

IconarmsDealer wrote:Fuck you you fat mother fucker
Exarach
Master Sergeant

Return to Maintenance and Troubleshooting