New question about Fuse for wiresets

Tips and tricks for keeping your equipment in top shape

Moderator: Moderators

New question about Fuse for wiresets

Postby xblackthund3rx on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:01 pm

So this is kind of a dumb question and im not sure if this is the right place for this but. I had to replace the wire set in my M4 and the one that I bought doesnt have a fuse set up in the wiring. Is it necessary to have a fuse in the wire set what exactly does it do and will it cause problems if I dont have one?
Last edited by xblackthund3rx on Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
forumlogo by BLACK_THUNDER, on Flickr
G4-A2 Blazing hog, TM 1911, KWA KMP9, Echo 1 MK5, CYMA AK47
xblackthund3rx
Private

Re: Fuse for wiresets

Postby AlexDean on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:38 am

the fuse basically protects your motor from a power surge. if you run lipo's a lot, it might be a good idea to use a fuse, but generally, you'll be fine without one.
Here I sit all broken hearted; came to poop and only farted.
AlexDean
Master Sergeant

Postby xblackthund3rx on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks for the info as of right now I'm just running a 9.6v but I am getting a lipo soon
forumlogo by BLACK_THUNDER, on Flickr
G4-A2 Blazing hog, TM 1911, KWA KMP9, Echo 1 MK5, CYMA AK47
xblackthund3rx
Private

Postby AxisOfOil on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:05 pm

the fuse protects your whole gun from a range of problems.

lots of things can cause your gearbox to jam or lock up... if you don't have a fuse, your motor will continue trying to turn, possibly doing a huge amount of damage to your gears or motor, and possibly overloading your battery and ruining it.

Also, if there is a short somewhere in the electrical system, your battery is then also shorted out... bye bye battery if you don't have a fuse to protect it.

They are extreme cases, but DO happen. A fuse will act before you even have a clue there is an issue (It is usually a very good clue that something HAS happened, however, when the fuse does blow)
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Postby SinfulPain on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:21 pm

AxisOfOil wrote:Also, if there is a short somewhere in the electrical system, your battery is then also shorted out... bye bye battery if you don't have a fuse to protect it.

And if you're running a LiPo setup, you'll most likely destroy your gun if you remove the fuse, and somehow a dead short happens.

Here's some videos of what happens when LiPo's are abused or overcharged:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DcpANRFrI4&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joe_TBzD49Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qBBvsab2PE

It does not matter if its 1 LiPo, or 10 LiPo's. They are not for the average Joe. Even people who have been using them for a long time have had problems with them venting/exploding.

This is why when charging even single-cell Li-Ion cells, I charge them outside. Charging them inside is asking for trouble. Chances are small that the cell will vent/explode, but I'd rather have that happen outside, where it will char the rock, versus in the house, where it can burn the house down.

* If you notice ANY cell starts puffing up/inflating, TAKE IT TO A BATTERY RECYCLING CENTER (like Batteries Plus)!!! DO NOT THROW IT OUT! I don't think you want to be responsible for causing a fire inside a recycling truck, or one of the sorting facilities, do you?*

As with all batteries for AEG's, DO NOT LEAVE THEM UNATTENDED!!!!! I have blown up a Ni-Mh battery pack when I left it unattended for a few days. Luckily, I left it on the table, and the only major damage was some stuff near it was melted, and there were some burn marks on the table. If that was a LiPo, there'd likely be nothing left if the house.

I don't mean to scare you guys, but you should know the risks of LiPo batteries.

~Brian
Don't bother calling "Surrender" on me, unless you are A) Right by me or B) Shooting 450+ with .20's. I WILL shoot you if I see you, otherwise. I am stubborn, and don't like to surrender. Consider yourself warned.
SinfulPain
Sergeant

Postby AlexDean on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:31 pm

in the third video, he has one of the ball on a rope throwing games in his back yard. oh the good ol' days.
Here I sit all broken hearted; came to poop and only farted.
AlexDean
Master Sergeant

Postby AxisOfOil on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:32 pm

and... scaring people is ALL you are doing.

Question for you:
So, do you charge your cell phone outside too?

If you use a lipo, charge it in a liposac or similar fire-safety bag. they make them... they work.

Lipos eventually wear out... nicer lipos have protection circuits that make this take longer and make it less dangerous when they do die off... but cheaper ebay types will just puff up and pop. If they're in a liposac, it will keep your house from burning down.

This is the worst that happens if you use a liposac properly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3o_2mwR ... re=related
AxisOfOil
Sergeant

Postby ryukensfj on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:27 pm

SinfulPain wrote:
AxisOfOil wrote:Also, if there is a short somewhere in the electrical system, your battery is then also shorted out... bye bye battery if you don't have a fuse to protect it.

And if you're running a LiPo setup, you'll most likely destroy your gun if you remove the fuse, and somehow a dead short happens.

Here's some videos of what happens when LiPo's are abused or overcharged:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DcpANRFrI4&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joe_TBzD49Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qBBvsab2PE

It does not matter if its 1 LiPo, or 10 LiPo's. They are not for the average Joe. Even people who have been using them for a long time have had problems with them venting/exploding.

This is why when charging even single-cell Li-Ion cells, I charge them outside. Charging them inside is asking for trouble. Chances are small that the cell will vent/explode, but I'd rather have that happen outside, where it will char the rock, versus in the house, where it can burn the house down.

* If you notice ANY cell starts puffing up/inflating, TAKE IT TO A BATTERY RECYCLING CENTER (like Batteries Plus)!!! DO NOT THROW IT OUT! I don't think you want to be responsible for causing a fire inside a recycling truck, or one of the sorting facilities, do you?*

As with all batteries for AEG's, DO NOT LEAVE THEM UNATTENDED!!!!! I have blown up a Ni-Mh battery pack when I left it unattended for a few days. Luckily, I left it on the table, and the only major damage was some stuff near it was melted, and there were some burn marks on the table. If that was a LiPo, there'd likely be nothing left if the house.

I don't mean to scare you guys, but you should know the risks of LiPo batteries.

~Brian

How the hell did that happen? Where you charging the battery for a few days unattended? You left the battery plugged in the gun? You left it in direct sunlight? What the hell did you do?
ryukensfj
Corporal

Postby SinfulPain on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:53 pm

ryukensfj wrote:How the hell did that happen? Where you charging the battery for a few days unattended? You left the battery plugged in the gun? You left it in direct sunlight? What the hell did you do?

IIRC, It was left on the charger for a few days.

AxisOfOil wrote:and... scaring people is ALL you are doing.

Question for you:
So, do you charge your cell phone outside too?

If you use a lipo, charge it in a liposac or similar fire-safety bag. they make them... they work.

Lipos eventually wear out... nicer lipos have protection circuits that make this take longer and make it less dangerous when they do die off... but cheaper ebay types will just puff up and pop. If they're in a liposac, it will keep your house from burning down.

This is the worst that happens if you use a liposac properly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3o_2mwR ... re=related

What I meant to say was that I don't want to scare them away from using LiPo's. Being scared of the stuff will make you more cautious about how you use it, and understand the potential dangers of using it.

Most of the time, I'm charging my phone in my car while driving around, so in a way, yes, I am charging it outside.

The LiPo Sack won't stop from filling your house with those fumes, though, and those are pretty toxic. Instead of spending $30 on a LiPo Sack, you can get an ammo can, drill a large enough hole in it to allow you to fit the wires from the charger in it, and put some RTV around the edges of the hole, to keep the edges from slowly wearing through the wire sheathing.

Charging them outdoors is pretty much the safest way to charge them, as the fumes won't linger for long, and if your backyard is rocks, like mine, you won't set anything on fire, except for maybe a few weeds.

I've learned from others' experiences that you don't rely on the protection circuits. Continue to treat the battery/batteries as if there is no protection circuit, as the circuits can always fail.

~Brian
Don't bother calling "Surrender" on me, unless you are A) Right by me or B) Shooting 450+ with .20's. I WILL shoot you if I see you, otherwise. I am stubborn, and don't like to surrender. Consider yourself warned.
SinfulPain
Sergeant

Postby ryukensfj on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:32 pm

SinfulPain wrote:
ryukensfj wrote:How the hell did that happen? Where you charging the battery for a few days unattended? You left the battery plugged in the gun? You left it in direct sunlight? What the hell did you do?

IIRC, It was left on the charger for a few days.

I'm sorry but that was just an idiot move... Of course you don't leave a battery unattended while charging, especially for a few days! That's like common sense.
ryukensfj
Corporal

Next

Return to Maintenance and Troubleshooting