ICOM trouble

Tips and tricks for keeping your equipment in top shape

Moderator: Moderators

ICOM trouble

Postby yellow_fever on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:23 am

I'm borrowing a friend's ICOM F4-S, and it recieves just fines, but pressing the PTT button just gives me a long beep and displays the message "hyatt" (also gives a beep and this message when I turn the radio on).

Its programmed with Moto-compatible GMRS/FRS freqs, and again, recieves just fine on those, but it won't send. Any suggestions?
When in doubt, call it out.
Savage wrote:Good to know snow camo isn't desert issue anymore.
yellow_fever
Sergeant

Re: ICOM trouble

Postby quadro on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:28 am

Sounds like a dead/dying battery. If you have a charger then charge it up and it should work. It is normal for them to have a long beep with text when they first turn on. Mine displays quadro on start-up. It is definately a radio bought from Kiley as "Hyatt " is his software program. You will find that if you keep draining the battery it will beep on and off till it just dies completely.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Harold R. McAlindon

quadro
Executive Advisor

Postby The Honey Badger on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:51 am

It absolutely sounds battery related. The radios here at work do the same thing and need to be tri-analized frequently. Sadly new batteries are $30-50 for most.
The Honey Badger
TAC CO

Postby bigwavedave on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:34 am

I've got another Icom issue maybee somebody on here can help with. I have a couple of F4s's that I picked up off of ebay. One cloned over fine, the other is being a PITA.
I hooked up the audio to audio and do the clone transmit. A small green light comes on in the dig. display of the slave unit but I never get the "clone rec'vd" message or whatever. It appears to be communicating but it won't clone. Any ideas?
bigwavedave
Recruit

Postby yellow_fever on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:07 am

Hyatt. Wow. That did not even occur to me. Totally knew it was programmed by him, too. :oops:

According to the display, the battery's at about 3/4 charge. Might have developed a battery memory problem, but I'll toss it on the charger and see what happens.
yellow_fever
Sergeant

Postby quadro on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:11 am

The F4S does not have a battery level indicator. I found that when a battery is showing on the display it is indicating low battery and to charge it. Mine will run about an hour once it displays then start turning itself on and off. Charge it for a few hours and you will be good to go.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Harold R. McAlindon

quadro
Executive Advisor

Postby quadro on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:13 am

bigwavedave wrote:I've got another Icom issue maybee somebody on here can help with. I have a couple of F4s's that I picked up off of ebay. One cloned over fine, the other is being a PITA.
I hooked up the audio to audio and do the clone transmit. A small green light comes on in the dig. display of the slave unit but I never get the "clone rec'vd" message or whatever. It appears to be communicating but it won't clone. Any ideas?

Send KileyHaz a PM. Gr is the Icon programmer here in Tucson. I've seen some radios not accept cloning but can be programmed through the computer transfer.

quadro
Executive Advisor

Postby yellow_fever on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:08 am

Yup, I'm a retard. Thanks for the "is it plugged in" suggestions. :lol:
yellow_fever
Sergeant

Postby KileyHAZ on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:01 pm

Hyatt is my last name and the display name on some of the clones I have done.

YF, sounds like a battery issue to me as well. When my packs are not pushing the right voltage I get the same issue. I can scan and hear fine but when I ramp up the wattage to transmit it beeps and powers down then back up. Rule out the battery by using someones known-good one.

quadro wrote:
bigwavedave wrote:I've got another Icom issue maybee somebody on here can help with. I have a couple of F4s's that I picked up off of ebay. One cloned over fine, the other is being a PITA.

Send KileyHaz a PM. Gr is the Icon programmer here in Tucson. I've seen some radios not accept cloning but can be programmed through the computer transfer.

It could be a firmware issue. I had to work around one of those this week on Hollywoods ICOM. If it won't take a clone from the clone cable then you can try the computer and vice versa. Her issue started out with the radio sending and receiving fine, then stopped receiving. We thought it was speaker releated but the software calibration just went bad, I pushed a new profile. Hers would not take a USB push but would take the clone. Once she had the new profile I couold push/pull fine with the USB.

A few guys in Phx have the software and cable for a USB or serial push. If your down this way I can take it home as well.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking"
KileyHAZ
Executive Advisor

Postby yellow_fever on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Its all in the battery or the charger. It won't show a green "charged" light, and the life of the battery seems low. But that's no big deal.

Thanks for the help; mostly I had no idea where to start. I'm about as knowledgeable about a radio as I am about the life and times of Horatio Gates. Which is to say not at all.
yellow_fever
Sergeant

Next

Return to Maintenance and Troubleshooting