Crane Stock battery Compatibility?

Tips and tricks for keeping your equipment in top shape

Moderator: Moderators

Crane Stock battery Compatibility?

Postby PhaedrusZen on Thu May 28, 2009 6:22 pm

ASGI has a nice crane stock battery (9.6 4200mAh) that they say is built for the CA crane stock. Just curious if anyone has any idea how much size difference there is between brands, and if a CA sized battery would be compatible with a G&P stock?
sky soldier wrote:...Oh wait, nevermind his lips are painted orange, they must not be real cuss words.
PhaedrusZen
Executive Advisor

Re: Crane Stock battery Compatibility?

Postby AZsharpshooter on Thu May 28, 2009 8:17 pm

My GUESS would be that it should be compatiable. You could always call ASGI and ask one of there employees, but that dosen't mean that you will get a straight anwser but it should point you in the right direction.
Primary- G&G GR-16 carbine (M4A1)
Back up- Echo 1 G36C
Secondary- KWA G23F

Just call me Sharpshooter
AZsharpshooter
Sergeant

Postby dejavu on Thu May 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Yeah I'd definitely call them to double check- crane stocks can be a bitch to fit a battery in correctly. I've torn the plastic over the wiring before just by trying to collapse the stock. It would suck to buy a nice battery like that and mess it up on your first try to fit it.
dejavu
Master Sergeant

Postby firebert on Thu May 28, 2009 9:48 pm

Not all crane stock batteries are created equally. CA Crane stocks use Sub C cells and most of the others use 2/3As cells. It doesn't say so on the G&P website but the CraneStock batteries look to be 2/3As. The easiest way to check is take your current batteries you have for you cranestock and compare them to a "small" pack vs. a "large" pack and see which cells they use. If they use the "small" they are 2/3As and if they use the "large" they are Sub C cells. I hope this helps.
firebert
Private

Postby PhaedrusZen on Thu May 28, 2009 9:58 pm

The battery I have now, I'm pretty sure is 2/3 A, but it does have some room for play inside the stock. I dropped an email to ASGI. I'll let you guys know what they say.
ASGI had a nice video for fitting a crane stock battery with minimal loss to collapsibility. There was also a vid somewhere where they suggested taping or gluing ribbon around the bottoms of the battery parts to make it easier to remove the battery from the stock (as opposed to pulling on wires).
sky soldier wrote:...Oh wait, nevermind his lips are painted orange, they must not be real cuss words.
PhaedrusZen
Executive Advisor

Postby wash warrior on Fri May 29, 2009 11:59 am

I did a lot of looking around for crane stock batteries a while back, and like someone said above, all crane stocks are not created equally. I am fairly sure that G&P's actually have less capacity than STAR or CA crane stocks. And if you look around you see that the G&P ones always look more thin, have less capacity, and are held together by that triangle piece. So I am pretty sure you need G&P batteries for G&P crane stocks. Whereas STAR and CA should be interchangeable. King Arms and knock off brands like that definitely do not have the same storage space, they hold barely anything worth having.
wash warrior
Recruit

Postby PhaedrusZen on Fri May 29, 2009 12:44 pm

Alright, so here's another question...anyone know if a CA Crane stock works on a G&P buffer tube? I wouldn't mind buying the stock for the bigger battery. I could keep the old stock and battery and just switch the set completely out if I needed a battery change in game. ;)
PhaedrusZen
Executive Advisor

Postby wash warrior on Sun May 31, 2009 12:54 pm

Im not sure on that one. Most stocks fit on most stock tubes, however, they don't always fit great. I have a TM stock tube, and a STAR stock, and it fits and slides and everything but it doesn't fit well enough to stay extended. So whenever I put any decent pressure on the stock, it collapses in a notch or two. (unless the battery is in, then it just jacks up the wires. So that's no fun, but it is functional. So ya, it should fit, but I don't know if it will be perfect fit, maybe someone else will know.

Hope this helps
wash warrior
Recruit

Return to Maintenance and Troubleshooting